Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

One more question for furture reference... what does blood

one more question for furture reference... what does blood in your stool look like...is it all throught it...or stringy or how does it look????
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

It can look both ways.

If there is a bleeding internal hemorrhoid, the blood will appear as bright red ink on teh toilet paper, it can also coat the stool on the outside in streaks, it can also drop into the toilet and the water will look bright red. Rarely is the blood in the stool seen in clots or strings, usually its liquid and has no consistency to it.

If a person is bleeding in the stomach, the blood will be digested as it travels through small bowel and large bowel and the stool will come out looking pitch black. That means there is digested blood in the stool.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to look for. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thats all good to know...

what about blood that is mixed into the stool??? that may be maroon or red...? is that basically all the way through the stool?? as in color or clots or whatever??

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 6 years ago.
do you still want help? I noticed you went offline.

Sorry to keep you waiting, I was away from my desk.

The blood that is mixed in the stool will be bright red or dark red (maroon color) but its clearly visible. Depending on the amount of blood that is coming out, it can coat the stool thoroughly or it can be speckled in.

It is very rare to have rectal bleeding with clots, only if there is a massive bleed should there be clots, otherwise its just liquid blood coming out. It is usually pretty obvious because it will always be on the toilet paper as you wipe.