Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

What does a a BUN/Creat ratio of 30 indicate? BUN is 22 and

What does a a BUN/Creat ratio of 30 indicate? BUN is 22 and Creat is .74 Also what does an absolute EOS of 0.0 mean. Obviously these are the abnormal readings off of my blood work and I am wondering what they mean.
Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

A BUN//creatinine ratio of 30, which is high may mean there is a prerenal (outside the kidney) cause to some damage to the kidneys. This would be important if your creatinine was elevated (your creat is normal). Sine your creatinine is normal this is not really important

Dr B :

The absolute eosinophil count (EOS) of 0 means you have 0 eosinophils present in your blood simple, which is low

Dr B :

Common causes for this include excess alcohol and excess cortisol (a hormone in the body)

Customer:

i dont drink very much at all. what is excess cortisol? the ratio means nothing then?

Dr B :

cortisol is a hormone produced in your adrenal glands

Dr B :

The ratio is not important

Customer:

anything to be concerned about it?

Dr B :

Also, an inflammatory condition or an infection can cause a low eosiniphil count

Many people have low eosinophil counts and lead completely normal lives, so I don't think you should worry about it for now

Customer:

ok thanks