Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

What is a normal glucose reading, first thing in the

What is a normal glucose reading, first thing in the morning,before meals and after meals?
Thank you
***** *****
The normal glucose reading first thing in the morning (called the 'fasting glucose level) should be between 70 to 100 mg/dL. Levels between 100 and 125 indicate prediabetes and higher than 125 mg/dL suggest diabetes.
Another test for the blood sugar level is called the “random blood glucose” - this test may be taken at any time in relation to eating or drinking and can be administrated at any time. A level higher than 140 mg/dL can indicate prediabetes. A level above 200mg/dL indicates diabetes.
The third type of blood sugar test is the after meal or post-prandial test. This should be less than 140mg/dL. Higher levels indicate diabetes.
There is no specific test for a before meal test - this is called the random blood sugar test.
I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Your answer was extemely helpful. How long after you eat should you test? I've ben told I'm prediabetic and will probably be asking more questions at a later time

Thank you very much

The post prandial test should be done 2 hours after a meal.
You are welcome to ask more questions.
I hope this helps.