How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Julia Kizhner Your Own Question
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Type Your Health Question Here...
Julia Kizhner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Raised red circles on back of hand and inside forearms, they

Resolved Question:

raised red circles on back of hand and inside forearms, they don't itch or hurt, but won't go away, have had them for at least a year. they have for the most stay circle like, but two now half has gone away, what could this be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It is hard to make a skin rash diagnosis without seeing a picture but from what you are describing it sounds that you have a condition called Granuloma Annulare which is basically a chronic skin condition consisting of a reddish rash in a circle. Usually the center is lighter in color and there is a darker "ring" surrounding the lighter area. Usually there is scaling present with this condition.

Because this rash doesn't cause any symptoms (itching, pain, etc), no treatment for it is necessary and eventually the patches go away on their own.

If you do have scaling, it is possible that you have a fungal infection for which creams can be prescribed.

It is best that you see a dermatologist for a full evaluation as again, I cannot feel or see the rash, but based on your description believe that that is what you have.

Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for y work.

Best wishes and good luck,


Julia Kizhner and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything like a cream I can try on this to see if it helps
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Steroid creams can be tried (usually very strong steroid creams such as Betamethaose or Clobetasol - they are available by prescription only) but usually only if there is itching, otherwise they will not serve any good. Sometimes a steroid can be injected into the ring itself and this is usually done by a dermatologist.

If you have scaling and there is a possibility of a fungal infection, there are several over-the-counter creams you can try (Lamisil or Clotrimazole) but I would not recommend using them unless a fungal infection in confirmed.

In most cases Granuloma annularae goes away on its own after several months to years.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to hep you further.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button.