DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

My wife is set for surgery on Thursday to remove the metal

My wife is set for surgery on Thursday to remove the metal screws and plates from a Tibial Plateau Fracture. The Ortho suspects infection and a non-union and or mal-union fracture. Her gastro doctor just told her last Friday he suspects she may have CIDP based on symptoms she reported to him. We are trying to get the two doctors to talk to each other today. Can she still have the surgery to fix the leg if she does indeed have CIDP?
Thanks
Are you talking about Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unfortunately.
In this disease there is involves nerve swelling and irritation (inflammation) that leads to a loss of strength or sensation. It can happen without cause or may occur with other conditions, such as:Chronic hepatitis, Diabetes, HIVI, nflammatory bowel disease, Systemic lupus erythematosus, Lymphoma, Thyrotoxicosis etc. This is not an absolute contraindication for surgery. But it will be better both doctor discuss the case before surgery.

Thanks

Please feel free to ask if you have any doubts or question.