How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Singh Your Own Question
Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6496
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hurt my back jumping and playing sports. Now I am in

Resolved Question:

I hurt my back jumping and playing sports. Now I am in severe pain and have been for a week. It is my lower back. I can stand up straight, bend down, or lift my legs to high. It also hurts constantly - when I sit, stand, cough, sneeze, lay down, pretty much all the time. I also was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 20. Now I am 26, this may have something to do with it as well. My research indicates a herniated disc might be the problem, but I do not have insurance yet. Do I need to see a doctor now or will the pain go away? I dont have a lot of money. What do you think the diagnosis is and do I need immediate attention?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
Some likely causes for your symptoms are muscle spasm, prolapsed disc, pinched nerves. The mainstay of treatment for muscle spasm and prolapsed disc with no neurological deficit is rest and physical therapy.

You can take Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours as needed for the pain. Avoid lifting any heavy weights or standing or sitting upright for long periods. You should also see a doctor for examination of your neurological system to rule out any damage to nerves. You can see a doctor at a free or low cost clinic near your area. Here is a link to find one:
Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Great thank you .. What kind of Physical Therapy should I be doing. I would like to be able to stand up straight again sooner than later.

I can see a doctor in September when my insurance kicks in. Is that good enough?

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
For current illness, I would like you to see a doctor at an urgent care clinic sooner for examination. Initial physical therapy measures include rest, ice, massage, ultrasound or electric stimulation. Once the pain improves, exercises to strengthen the back muscles and stretching exercises should be started.
Best Regards.
Dr. Singh and other Health Specialists are ready to help you