Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a rash all over my body. The bumps start out as tiny…

Customer Question
I have a rash all...
I have a rash all over my body. The bumps start out as tiny itchy and colorless then get red after scratching and grow in size. My legs, arms and torso are covered as well as hands and feet. I originally started getting the rash on my torso/ belly. When I originally started getting these bumps last fall I went to the doctor 3 times. I was given steroid cream which helped a little, and also 2 rounds of scabies medication which helped temporarily. I sprayed my furniture and treated all of my bedding, linens, and clothes. Two days after using the scabies cream, my skin rash got considerably worse and extremely itchy.
The rash slowly healed over time but  also left me a big patch of dry skin on my right thigh.  I had the rash lasted for about 3 months and went away for about 2 months and now i have had it again for just over 2 months.  My daughter and boyfriend are unaffected and have no bumps or itching.
 I changed laundry soap, bath soap, and took several soaking baths to no avail. I am considering that i may be allergic to my body wash. I use acne wash on my face and have no itchy bumps.
I'm a cosmetologist and come into contact with many chemicals and I wear gloves but also wash my hands a lot. I am now starting to get hard, itchy, and kinda painful bumps between my fingers and on my palms. I am so desperate for relief from this itching! Help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
6/9/2011
Health Professional: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
This sounds most like scabies.
Rashes over the whole body but not involving the face are typical of scabies. Although you have already been treated for scabies once, you need to repeat the treatment.
The fact that you are now starting to get hard bumps on the palm and between the fingers is almost diagnostic of scabies - scabies typically occurs between the fingers.
All the people in the family including your daughter, her boyfriend and any pets must be treated. They must be treated even if they do not have symptoms.
The main principles of treatment are:
All the clothes must be boiled and washed at the same time.
The method of applying the cream must be strictly followed. For this, you should use a topical cream (Elimite, Acticin) which are available OTC. After stripping completely, you must apply it over the whole body except the face. Then you must put on some light clothes which yu have boiled before. Not just you, everybody in the family must do this at the same time. You have to keep this on for 12 hours. In the meantime, you must wash and boil all your clothes, like towels and all wearing clothes, plus bedsheets, pillow covers, etc. anything which can contain the mites. After 12 hours, take a shower and then again wear clothes which you have boiled before. This must be done with all the people in the family.
Repeat this after two weeks.
If this still causes recurrence, even after you have followed it strictly, then you must approach a dermatologist for prescription oral medicines which you have to take.
You should look up here:
http://firstaid.webmd.com/scabies_treatment_firstaid.htm
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
I have had this for two months! no one else in my house has it, or has gotten it either time i have had it! I did 2 rounds of scabies meds already and still suffer! is it possible that I have dishydrotic eczema on my body, and pompholyx eczema on my hands?
Dishydrotic eczema usually occurs on the hands and feet and not all over the body. The tiny itchy blisters occur on the edge of the fingers, toes and sole. Pompholyx and dishydrotic eczema is practically the same with the pompholyx causing somewhat larger blisters.
Tiny itchy rash which affects the whole body except the face is almost diagnostic of scabies.
Some people can be scabies carriers and may not show any symptoms but cause recurrent infection in the person who is prone to develop the infection. Which is why all the people in a family should undergo the treatment process together even if they do not have symptoms. Even the beddings clothes etc of all the persons should be boiled not just the affected person.
I really feel that you and everyone in your family should undergo a round of treatment simultaneously and see if that helps.
If you still continue to get the rash, you will need a skin biopsy.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)