Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have an intermittent dull ache in my left thigh, midway between

Customer Question

I have an intermittent dull ache in my left thigh, midway between my knee and hip. I have had this for a couple years now. I went to the dr at some point, and he recommended stretching more (didn't help). It is not a shooting pain, and doesn't prevent me from walking/running/exercising, but it is annoying, and can be somewhat painful (in a dull throbbing kind of way).
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question .
Do you have lower back pain ?
Is it in front outer side of thigh ?
Is it like burning /tingling sensation ?
Associated numbness?
Any associated swelling , redness , skin discoloration on affected area?
Any other medical history ?
Are you taking any medications ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have lower back pain ? No
Is it in front outer side of thigh ? Yes
Is it like burning /tingling sensation ? No, it feels like a deep ache, in a very specific area
Associated numbness? No
Any associated swelling , redness , skin discoloration on affected area? No
Any other medical history ? No illness, exercise regularly (3-5x's a week), allergic to sulfur
Are you taking any medications ? trisprintec (birth control)
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for providing more information .
Well as you describe there may be possibility of meralgia paresthetica.
This can cause pain over the front outer part of the thigh due to a compression of the nerves of the thigh, (upper lumbar nerve root.-lateral femoral cutaneous nerve )

So you need to be seen by an Orthopedist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management .
In the meantime you should take OTC Motrin /Naproxen .
Your doctor may advise physical therapy like deep heat ,traction ,interferential therapy as well.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! What is typically the cause of that?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Well it is caused due to compression of nerve in Lumbosacral spine .
So you need to be seen by an Orthopedist for further evaluation and management .
In the meantime take OTC Motrin .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did a quick search online, and everywhere refers to meralgia paresthetica as a burning pain across the whole thigh area, sometimes sensitive to the touch. That is definitely NOT what I have. It is not a burning pain. It is a deep ache (more like a bruise) but it is not sensitive to the touch.
Do you still think that is what it is?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo MRI of Lumbosacral spine to rule out pinched nerve (The L3 or L4 nerve is getting irritated as it exits out of the spine, in the lumbar spine can cause pain over the front part of the thigh ).
It is most likely a pinched nerve .
And as you have no associated swelling , redness , skin discoloration so any venous insufficiency (Deep vein thrombosis ) is less likely .
Also as you are suffering from last few years , so muscle strain is less likely .
It is advised to take OTC Motrin .