CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have a swelling at the top of my sternum right where it

Customer Question

I have a swelling at the top of my sternum right where it meets up with the clavicle (is that right ?). Its about the size of a grape. Sort of where the thyroid gland would be. Terrified I have lung cancer...
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.

CamilleRN :

Is it defined.... I mean can you see that it has a round shape? is it hard or soft?

Customer:

I would say that yes it is rounded It is soft

CamilleRN :

it could be an enlarged lymph node for any number of reasons...

CamilleRN :

the last being lung cancer...so please don't worry about that at this point

Customer:

It is where most people have that little hollow

CamilleRN :

Lymph nodes enlarge due to inflammation in the surrounding area... anything from a bad tooth to an ear infection to a sore throat... dental problem etc can cause enlarged lymph nodes

CamilleRN :

in cancer..the lymph nodes are usually rock hard

CamilleRN :

that may be an enlarged thyroid

Customer:

Funny though I had swollen glands in my neck about a month ago and then I had a blocked parotid gland about three weeks ago. Not been unwell at all

CamilleRN :

any weight changes or other changes that may indicate a thyroid problem?

Customer:

I think maybe it might be an enlarged throid too....hope so anyway. Already got myself dying in a year so a thyroid problem would be great

CamilleRN :

Oh My Goodness

CamilleRN :

Don't think like that! :-)

CamilleRN :

Do you have issues with anxiety?

Customer:

I had a hysterectomy a year ago. Massive endometrioma (size of football apparantley) and massive fibroid (also size of football) apparently when they opened me up my insides were a total mess with endometriosis as well as fibroid and cyst. I had 5 hours of surgery and I was told it was technically very difficult and nearly ended up with a stoma. I think because I had all this going on inside me and didn't even realise I am panciking now about this wee lump.

Customer:

Not usually an anxious person. Normally very resillient and stoic

CamilleRN :

I can certainly understand that

Customer:

How could I not know I had all this going on inside me ???

Customer:

I now have this numbness in my left leg which feels like it has been numbed like when you go to the dentist. Very odd but I wonder if it is nerve damage from the spinal anaesthetic (sp ?)

CamilleRN :

Here's what to do... first... think positive about this lump.... because the fact is it sounds like it's an enlarged thyroid... and that is treatable...and being worried and thinking negatively drains you.. and you don't need that. Make an appointment to see your Doctor for an exam and treatment.

CamilleRN :

yes

Customer:

I also have a very achy left shoulder

CamilleRN :

sometimes a spinal can cause irritation that leaves such numbness...but fortunately it almost always improves with much time.

CamilleRN :

I have a cream for you!

Customer:

I am going to do that for sure but I want to go in armed as I don't have much confidence in my gp at the moment I'm afraid

CamilleRN :

It's called Topricin...

CamilleRN :

it is a cream that I have seen work for many many types of aches and pains

Customer:

What other symptoms would there be with an enlarged thyroid ?

CamilleRN :

it works by increasing circulation , improving lymphatic drainage and decreasing inflammation

CamilleRN :

www.topricin.com

Customer:

I have put on weight but I was a fat bugger before anyway

CamilleRN :

Symptoms vary, but...

CamilleRN :

weight gain, or loss, intolerance to heat or cold..

CamilleRN :

fatique

CamilleRN :

insomnia

Customer:

weight gain ... yes

Customer:

heat and cold ... yes but don't forget I am in surgical menopause

Customer:

fatigue ... yes but I am currentley seriously overworked

CamilleRN :

I would recommend you see your Primary Dr so he can look at it and order some lab work to help determine if you have a thyroid issue

Customer:

insomnia ... big yes can't sleep for love nor money but do have some serious issues going on in my life at the moment

Customer:

what should be their line ...

CamilleRN :

What do you mean?

Customer:

what should I expect them to do or suggest may be the cause ?

CamilleRN :

he will physically examine you... feel the area... and may order thyroid function tests