Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can multaq and toprol-xl be used togethertopro

can multaq and toprol-xl be used togethertopro

Yes, they can be used together but with very close monitoring.
The Multaq can enhance the effects of Toprol-XL, leading to a slowing of the heartrate.
Therefore, you will need to watch your heart rate when initiating which ever medication is the new one).
If you are on Toprol XL and you are starting the Multaq, you may want to decrease the dosage of Toprol-XL initially (under your doctor's guidance) to make sure that you tolerate the two medications together.

These medications can and are used together in clinical practice. You just need to be monitored closely.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I almost didn't ask Does singulair interact with these drugs. (multaq is the new drug

No, singulair does not have any interactions with Toprol-XL or Multaq.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it common for the multaq to slow the heart rate slightly I am on 200 mg of toprol xl still (due to cardiovascular disease dr. said stopping or reducing would be more dangerous than low heart rate At the start of multaq heart rate was 77 and has fallen to 69 is this a concern Only change in symptoms is fiewer palpitations
when taking the two together, (multaq plus the Toprol XL) that is what needs to be watched for--a slowing of the heart rate.

The drop you are experiencing is not serious. As long as you are feeling well without dizziness, your heart rate is within the normal range.

I would be concerned if you are getting below 60.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Due to my history of corinary heart disease the dr. said That "The lower The better he said that a heart rate as low as upper 40s to 50 was OK He said that If I had slower rate due to the absolute need to leave the beta blocker in place and prevent a-fib he would put a pacemaker in My dr. is a cardioligist but due to experence in general medicine he is taking care of all medical needs Is it common to allow a modestly slow heart rate in this situation
it is very common.

Beta blockers are very beneficial medications if they are tolerated.
I would be concerned if you are starting to feel dizziness and shortness of breath with a heart rate that is dropping...this would be a sign that you need intervention (ie pacemaker with a heart rate of 40, for example)

Dr Abby