CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

My 21-year-old son has been having some troubling symptoms

My 21-year-old son has been having some troubling symptoms in his mouth, throat, and ears. He has been to see a dentist, ENT, and family physician. The family physician noted that his throat looked red and prescribed an antibiotic...which did nothing. The dentist referred him to the ENT, who recommended allergy meds...which have not helped. And most recently he has experienced pressure in his ear and ringing, which comes and goes. He has smoked since 13 (nice friends!) and has smoked pot (some more nice friends!) on and off. Right now he smokes about a pack a day, sometimes a little less. I don't go in with him since he's 21, so I don't know what he is telling the doctors, but he is getting very frustrated with the lack of progress being made. Can you help?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. One thing that can cause alot of problems are tonsil stones.. does he still have his tonsils?

Customer:

Yes, he does.

CamilleRN :

Tonsil stones, also known as tonsiliths are balls of putrid saliva and food remnants that can accumulate in the tonsil folds causing irritation, pain, ear problems and generalized ill feeling. Here is a video to see what these are... please be warned it is Gross... but I think it's an important consideration in his case..and something a Doctor can easily overlook:

CamilleRN :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FL1XxosGI0

Customer:

Ok, you're right that was gross. How do we find out if that is what this is?

CamilleRN :

His Dentist or Doctor needs to look using a q-tip to move the folds. IT is difficult for most people to be able to do this themselves because of the gag reflex. If tonsil stones are found they can be very easily and painless removed by the Doctor.

Customer:

What are the chances that this might be early mouth or throat cancer?

CamilleRN :

At 21, honestly... slim to none.

CamilleRN :

he COULD have an allergy to cigarettes or marijuana which could cause the symptoms he is having.