911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have an ingrown toenail (large toe) for six days now. I

Customer Question

hi doctor,
I have an ingrown toenail (large toe) for six days now. I have not been taking any medications. It is still red but slowly improving. Redness is all around the toenail usually more red after walking for a long time or late at night.
I had an epidosed of this earlier last year. Should I see my doctor? I am soaking once a day and notice that there is some puss on the edge. I also use hydrogen peroxide. Is peroxide bad? will it inflame the area causing more redness?
Also, what type of antibiotics are perscribed. Last time I was given amoxcillin oral. I had a reaction on the 7th day. Any alternative drugs?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 6 years ago.
911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

Stop the peroxide...

911Doctor :

Antibiotics will not fix this...

911Doctor :

You need to have the ingrown part of the nail removed...

911Doctor :

Can be done in most urgent care center's and most family practice offices...

911Doctor :

Local anesthesia and removal of the ingrown portion of the nail....

911Doctor :

The reason to stop the peroxide is that it is good as an antiseptic when you get a cut... Good to apply once... After that it kills new skin cells as well as bacteria so you don't get healing...

911Doctor :

The reason antibiotics wont work is that you have a good piece of nail buried beneath the skin and until that is taken out it will simply get infected and reinfected...