Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can you take metoprolol succinate 200 mg with aimodarone is

can you take metoprolol succinate 200 mg with aimodarone is this combination commonly used together
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Amiodarone plus Metoprolol are listed as a moderate interaction risk. They are used together at times. Specifically they may reduce the risk of a fatal arrythmia in your situation of being post-myocardial infarction.

Anthony Bray MD :

The risk indication is that the patient be monitored for bradycardia or other problems.

Anthony Bray MD :

It is understandable that they have used this combination in your specific case and circumstance however.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then let me know and i will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

my heart function is stable The mi was caught quickly enough that minimal danage was done The metoprolol is more or less to help lower bp and stress on the heart and reduce eshemia Dr. said that less eshemia means less arithmia risks. is this the case

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes the metoprolol is protective of the heart after a heart attack.

Anthony Bray MD :

The combination with the amiodarone sounds that this was done in the setting of continued arrythmia problems after the MI.

Anthony Bray MD :

It is correct that the metoprolol reduces heart rate, oxygen consumption and helps to increase survival in a heart attack patient.

Customer:

in the case of problems or with current risks are there safer choices that would be less of a problem with the beta blocker (The dr. said :"The metoprolol is not optional in this case it's manditory

Anthony Bray MD :

Metoprolol is a very safe drug. The amiodarone not so much but it sounds that it was necessary in your case.

Anthony Bray MD :

The amiodarone is one of the most effective drugs to protect against ventricular arrythmias but this drug does have many potential adverse side effects...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you.