Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I went to bed tonight and everything was fine. Woke up in

I went to bed tonight and everything was fine. Woke up in middle of night with big toe in pain and throbbing. Don't think its broke or fractured. Elevated foot and used ice. Still hurts and can't sleep. Any other actions I should take and what do you think happened
Category: Health
Expert:  NorrieM replied 6 years ago.
Could be infected - see your Doc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Five hours later the toe feels normal? How can this be? Also what type of infection can cause these sypmtoms
Expert:  NorrieM replied 6 years ago.
If your toe looks and feels normal, is not sore and is not red, then it probably was not and infection. Almost any type of bacteria can cause an infection, but it is not usual for it to subside so quickly. Have it checked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
An infection seems far fetched. How about the possibility I stubbed it while sleeping and the pain was temporary
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

What part of your toe was painful?

Did it appear swollen, or reddened at all?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The entire big toe. It was not swollen or red. I could move it but it was throbbing and in pain. Could it be from jamming it while sleeping and then five hours later its much better. I did ice and elevate it.
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Whatever you did to it, the ice and elevation must have kept it from swelling.

You may have (as you suggest) hit your toe against something while sleeping. More likely, you mildly sprained the ligaments in the toe that day. Anything else (arthritis, gout, more severe injury) would have caused some redness and swelling.

An injury of the big toe (or joint) is called "turf toe"......here is a link to a small video that explains: Turf Toe

Applying ice and elevating the foot is actually the correct treatment for this type of injury.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management