Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I ate lunch meat that has been in the fridge for about three

Customer Question
Hi, I ate lunch meat...
Hi, I ate lunch meat that has been in the fridge for about three weeks is that safe to eat.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
5/27/2011
Health Professional: Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN) replied 6 years ago
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

It is hard to say whether or not it is safe to eat or not....lots of variables. If you purchased your lunch meat from a deli, it is most likely not safe to eat because these cuts are from pieces of meat that are not as highly cured as the lunch meats that are in the packages that you buy. Also, certain types of meat are more apt to spoil that others...chicken will spoil faster than ham because of the sodium content. Also, there are variables like how cold your refrigerator is and how often the door is open.

The thing to remember is, if the cut of meat was bad, you might get sick from it and you might not. Things to expect would be stomach pain, diarrhea, and possible vomiting.

But to answer your question directly...in the future, I would say no, it is not safe to eat. You would be taking a huge chance by eating it.

It is turkey meat that was in a sealed package. I am concerned about food posioning
what was the expiration date on it?
I don't know i couldnt find it. It was oscar mayer lunch meat.
Did it smell okay and taste okay?
I think so.
Ok, well, just because it has been in your refrigerator for 3 weeks in a sealed package, doesn't mean it was out of date. It could easily have a shelf date of 2-3 months...depending on the curing method. So, if that's the case, it should be fine.
Yeah. I don't know though. I am kinda worried.
you will be until a little time passes and you see that you are ok. We have all done things like this and usually before long, you will have forgotten about it and when you do remember it again, you will think to yourself "hey, I never got sick from that turkey I had that day"...hopefully you will not get sick but honestly there is no way to know. Let's keep our fingers crossed and remember to not be tempted to do that again.
I did eat it at 11:00 today. So some time has passed.
well, it could take anywhere from 1 day to a week to get sick...so hang in there.
Okay. Maybe I should go get tested.
I'm not sure anyone could test you at this point for food poisoning when nothing is wrong. There is no test that would be diagnostic if you are not symptomatic.
I did have some diaherrea earlier
It is unlikely the diarrhea is from the meat you ate today. If you feel that it is, refrain from taking things like Immodium as to allow your body the chance to get rid of what is causing the diarrhea.
Okay I should be good I was thinking back when I bought the sealed lunch meat and it was 2 weeks max. So i am assuming its fine.
I would think you are okay too. In your case, and from how you have described it, it was most likely fine.
Thanks. I know this is unrealted but I have asthma all my life and pollen season triggers it. Every night i have been getting wheezing so I take my albuterol and it works. I bought a pulse oximeter and I have a peak flow. My pulse ox has gotten down to 92 Spo2. When is a good level to get treatment at the hospital. like mid 80's spo2. I usually blow a 500 peak flow. But it has never gone down to 250 which is the red zone.
Your blood oxygenation normal levels are 96% to 100%. If yours is 92%, this represents the constrictive nature of your airways...if it falls to 92% often or if it falls below 92%, I would seek treatment.
Okay. So below 90% usually go to the hospital for treatment.
that is correct. Also, if your asthma continues to bother you to the point that you are needing Albuterol or 'rescue inhalers' quite often, you may need to be on an inhaler that is used everyday to help control your symptoms instead of having to reach for the rescue drugs.
One more thing what is the dangerous range for spo2. What range would I need hospital treatment.
Any O2 saturation that is below the normal range and/or that makes you symptomatic (disoriented, dizzy, irritable, etc)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)