CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

White spots on palms and feet

I seem to get these little white spots all overthe palms of my hands and my feet when I get a little warn, or hot, and whenever I get cold, I get these weird redish purple lines all over my legs and arms. My mother has porphyria and I will soon be tested for it as well, but I am wondering if this could be a symptoms of that disorder, or what else this could be. And ideas what this could be?
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Are you fair skinned?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

I sort of have fair skin. I mean, I'm not that tan, but I'm not very pale either, if that makes sense?

CamilleRN :

Do they look like little bumps under the skin?

No, they look more like something splotchy, under the skin. Its kind of like my skin get red, and the white spots appear.

CamilleRN :

This may be a normal finding...refrred to as piezogenic papules. According to the "Journal of the American Academy of Physician's Assistants," or JAAPA, these white bumps are a condition known as piezogenic pedal papules. Labeled as harmless, piezogenic pedal papules are routinely misdiagnosed as cysts or warts.

CamilleRN :
CamilleRN :

These are especially large

CamilleRN :

No, it doesn't look like that :( Maybe I can try to upload a picture to you?

CamilleRN :

please do:-)

Bear with me, I've never uploaded a picture onto here before :) If you could give me a few minutes.

CamilleRN :

no problem, take your time I will see you when you are back

I almost have it. Just have to resize them, and then I can send them to you :)

I tried to take the pictures as best I could... They are not as "bold" as they can get, and this is actually kind of mild... If that helps.

CamilleRN :

That is the same think I showed you... only smaller bumps... this is normal and nothing at all to be concerned about. It's more commonly noted in fair skinned people and becomes more prominent in temperature changes.

Ok.. I just thought it was different since they are not "bumps".

CamilleRN :

it looks bumpy under ths skin

CamilleRN :

does your skin actually get red?

CamilleRN :

looks like it does

CamilleRN :

no itching right?

I don't feel any bumps, it's smooth... My feet get a little itchy, but not like "mosqito bite itchy", if that makes sense. And yes, my skin gets red, and then the white spots appear.

CamilleRN :

Porphyrias can cause rashes... but this does not look rash like.

Hmm... That's why I was confused, because what I was reading up on porphyria, it does talk about skin conditions, but not like what's on my hands and feet when I'm hot, or my arms and legs when I'm cold :(

CamilleRN :

no.... the rashes with that disorder...

CamilleRN :

gonna look for a photo for you

ok :) thanks for your patience =)

CamilleRN :

I am happy to help you... this is why I am a Nurse:-)

CamilleRN :
CamilleRN :

The redness and the white looking spots is like what is on my hands, but not the brownish spots or the blisters or sores...

CamilleRN :

do you have anything on the other side of your hands or feet?

primarily it's on my palms of my hands and soles of my feet. I have had it on the upper side of my thumbs, but not really on the back sides of my hands.

CamilleRN :

then please don't worry... it does not sound like a rash that is associated with porphyria. It does sound and look like piezogenic papules, which are harmless:-)

Ok.. Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated!

CamilleRN :

you are very welcome:-)