Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I have this strange lump that suddenly appeared on my lower

I have this strange lump that suddenly appeared on my lower lip. It's about the size of the top of my thumb. It's hard. It's uncomfortable. It extends into the lip itself, which makes eating, smiling and talking feel quite strange. It appeared several days ago and has not diminished in size at all. It's not acne. For what it's worth, I have basal cell cancer and HPV+ for whatever HPV is the oncovirus type. I'm trying not to think "more cancer". Picture https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BOJItP-2KYFlH6m1a8dhqDPcsyfbgCJny2E21soqjUg?feat=directlink Grateful for your input.

ps - the picture may be slow to load but it should load successfully. In all the months I've used JA, I've never had "no response" for an hour. Can't any one give me any input?

Hello and thank you for your question,

I am sorry you didn't get an answer right away.

Can you tell me if this lump is movable under neath the skin? Does it feel boggy or hard if you press on it? Does it hurt if you press on it?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hope I can answer sufficiently.

It moves WITH the skin, not independently of it,.
At the periphery of the lump it feels hard. The lump itself is more "boggy", as in somewhat hard but not mushy. It's not like a hive.
No, it doesn't hurt to push on it.
It's uncomfortable like the skin is being stretched.
And the lip itself is uncomfortable as it's rather hard on the edge of the lip proper.
Smiling broadly feels the most odd.
Plus, I feel like everyone is STARING at my face!

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the picture, it looks more like a cyst (called epidermal cyst) which suddenly developed under the skin. Another possibility could be a blocked salivary gland which caused some back up of saliva creating a lump. This doesn't look like skin cancer at all because it is underneath the skin - all types of skin cancers are located on top of the skin. It is also unlikely to be a lymph node because it is not a location where lymph nodes are located.

You can try to apply hot/warm compresses to it but if it doesn't dissolve on its own or continues to get bigger, you will need to get it surgically removed. Because of its location, you will probably get best cosmetic results seeing a plastic surgeon although a dermatologist or a general surgeon will also be able to remove it.

Removal is a very simple in-office procedure.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as it will not affect your overall health but because it is uncomfortable (both physically and emotionally for you), I would recommend excision.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! I will call my doc today. Do cysts often suddenly appear overnight like that?
Does a blocked salivary gland hurt? Would it, too, suddenly appear overnight?

Yes, cyst can appear overnight.
Blocked gland will also appear overnight and they may be painful but not always.

The reason you feel uncomfortable (especially when smiling) is because your skin is stretched in a way it is not used to being stretched so it causes a pulling sensation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.
If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Julia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. Went to doc's office today. She thinks it's some kind of allergy so she gave me steroids and wants me to take claritin. She said if it's worse tomorrow it could be impetigo (whatever that is!) I'm grateful for your information and help. I will click accept asap. Thank you!