Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Is extreme nausea a symptom of gerd? I have gerd. I also…

Is extreme nausea a symptom...
Is extreme nausea a symptom of gerd? I have gerd. I also have a adrenal cyst, upper left quadrant measuring 8.3 x 7.0 x 9.0 cm. Awaiting appointment with the surgeon. I also have a mild fatty liver. My gerd meds does not help. It usually takes 12 hrs from my last meal for me to not feel anything in my stomach. I have a feeling of fullness all this time and have nausea. The only way this doens't happen, is if I only intake liquids. So now I find myself eating solid food, one meal per day every other day. If I eat everyday I am comepletely miserable. I also have pain along with this nausea. Upper abdomen and midline the back.
5/18/2011
Robert Fernando
Hello.
Any problem with bowel movements?
Do you have bloating and gas in abdomen?
Stress or anxiety issue?
Are you alcoholic? Smoker?

Yes. Frequent constipation

Yes bloating and gas in abdomen

no stress or anxiety

not an alcoholic or smoker. Never have been

You can treat your symptoms with healthy and balanced diet.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber. You should increase the fiber in your diet slowly. Take diet, which is -low in fat and high in carbohydrates such as pasta, rice, whole-grain breads and cereals .
Yes, excess nausea can be part of GERD. But it can be managed with medications and changes in dietary habits.
Avoid Drinking carbonated beverages, such as sodas, as this may result in gas and cause discomfort.
Sometime milk products , worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it. Also stress aggravates it, so practice yoga and meditation.
Chew food slowly. You should eat smaller meals more often, or eating smaller portions, rather than large meals.
In case of pain , you can take anti-spasmodic. There is no medication for this condition. You need to make changes in diet.
You should eat smaller amounts of foods full of fiber, such as bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast .Avoid oily foods and dairy products until you feel totally recovered.
To control the symptoms your doctor can advise for prescription medications approved for such issue are- Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics) are also helpful .
I suggest you to get diet planned from dietitian and make appointment with Gastroenterologist.
Take care
Kind regards
Dr Robert.
:)Please feel free for any follow up query.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Your Positive feedback and BONUS are always welcome.
Robert Fernando
Should I start with the few foods you recommended? full variety of food might be a disaster. I have tried the smaller portions for about 2 months and that didn't seem to help. I will try changing the type of food I eat as you suggested. I have an appointment with my internal medicine Doctor on Thursday, I will ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. What is a anti-spasmodic? What are the medications you reffered for? pain or nausea?
food and dietary changes should be done as recommended in previous post.
These medications will help in making regularity of bowel movements, and will help in curing the nausea. Anti-spasmodic medications helps in relieving stomach pains.
Yes, you should see appointment with- Gastroenterologist.
Kind regards
Dr Robert.
Robert Fernando