Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My heart is pounding in my stomach

My heart is pounding in my stomach. It is visibly moving with every beat. All of the time. Its been going on for 5 months. I went to a cardiologist and I have no heart or aorta issues. I can not relax. I am not skinny, or fat. I can not sleep, my wife can see and feel the heart beat in my stomach as well. I am so uncomfortable. I feel fine otherwise and all my vitals are always normal. I have also had bloodwork, and they have confirmed there are no abnormalities. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Nurse Milli :

This ultrasound, what body part was it of?

Customer:

heart and chest

Nurse Milli :

okay, thanks

Nurse Milli :

I would recommend at this point, you need an ultrasound of your abdomen to visualize this area

Nurse Milli :

then possibly a CT scan

Customer:

any possibilities in your mind of what it could be?

Nurse Milli :

it is not totally abnormal to see and feel the heartbeat in the abdomen, but if it is keeping your from sleeping and resting I would highly recommend further testing.

Nurse Milli :

normally, the heartbeat sensation is not enough to cause a person to lose sleep..

Nurse Milli :

do you have a lot of anxiety about this?

Customer:

it doesnt wake me up, but its annoying enough to keep me from relaxing. Lately I have had anxiety about it, but even when I have forgotten about it, it reminds me it is still there.

Nurse Milli :

I understand..I will tell you that it is completely normal to feel a pulsating in the abdomen but a heavy pulsation could signify an abdominal aortic aneursym...now, I know that did not help your anxiety level but I have to mention it

Nurse Milli :

This is caused by a weak spot in the wall of the artery that leads to inflation

Customer:

That is fine, I would rather you be straight with me. You dont think they wouldve checked that during the ultrasound of the aorta?

Nurse Milli :

no, it cannot be detected when doing a cardiac ultrasound...needs to be of the abdomen

Customer:

Where do I go to get this done?

Nurse Milli :

with specific instructions to rule out the aneursym

Nurse Milli :

you can go to the ER and have it done there or you can visit your regular dr and have them order it and send you to the hospital or other outpatient setting to have it done

Customer:

could this be life threatening, if it is indeed what I have?

Nurse Milli :

Yes, of course. A stable aneursym is checked periodically but if found to be a large aneurysm and one that you have no history with (new), surgery may be done to correct it.

Customer:

Ok - I am thinking I may go to the ER, what do I say to make sure they dont blow me off, or re-direct me to some other test?

Nurse Milli :

The thing is...you are uncomfortable and have something bothering you that needs checked out. If yours is a normal pulsation, then it may be something you will have to get used to..otherwise, if not, it will need correcting. Just tell them you have spoken to a triage nurse online and was advised to have an abdominal ultrasound for the pulsation that you have been bothered with. Explain to them how it has been keeping you awake and making you anxious about it.

Customer:

On a side note - I have a history of IBS and stomach spasms. Sometimes I take some apple cider vinegar to calm my stomach down. I notice when I take it that the pounding is more proficient. Any relevance to that?

Nurse Milli :

I don't think you will have to convince them too much...they will want to cover themselves to make sure you are not in danger...they are not in business to blow folks off too much (or at least I hope not). Normal movements are also normal with bowel peristalisis, but it would not be a heartbeat. If you are seeing a pulsation every time your heart beats, it is not your bowels moving around (with IBS)

Customer:

Ok, I think that is all I have

Nurse Milli :

ok, good deal. I would go ahead and get this checked out to make sure everything is okay and also to help lower your anxiety level so you can rest. I hope it is just a normal heartbeat that you are noticing.

Nurse Milli :

It has been a pleasure helping you...good luck!

Customer:

thank you.