How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Julia Kizhner Your Own Question
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Type Your Health Question Here...
Julia Kizhner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday I went to the hospital to see a GI specialist

Resolved Question:

Yesterday I went to the hospital to see a GI specialist (outpatient), and the specialist I had an appointment to go see (who turned out to be an attending) was late to work because of a family emergency. While I was waiting for her to arrive another Doctor, who tought he was helping me, saw me so that I wouldn't have to wait. This other Doctor turned out to be a new young male doctor, works for attending I was originally going to see, and has very little expirience and it showed. After I had given him my medical history and finished describeing my problem and it was time to talk about what to do next he left the exam room and told me that he needed to do talk to the attending I was orginally supposed to see to find out what they could do to help me. I need a colonoscopy, which is currently scheduled for him to do it with the expirienced female attending supervising. I have no confidence in this guy and want the attending to do my colonoscopy, but he works for her. Am I stuck with this guy? What can/should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It sounds that this new young doctor was either a resident or a medical student. He is probably not your GI's partner. I am sure that your experienced lady doctor will be the one who is actually doing the colonoscopy. If you are scheduled to do it with her then she is going to be the one who does it.

What you can do is give her office a call to double check on that. To be on the safe side, it is also your full right as a patient to request that only your GI doctor does the colonoscopy and no one else.

I don't see any problems with her office denying it.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is deffinatly out of medical school but only 2-4years. I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy done and he performed the procedure with her just watching and the nurse who scheduled the colonoscopy told me that it would be the same for my colonoscopy, which is why I am concerned.
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Ok, then it sounds that he is either a resident or a doctor who is doing gastroenterology fellowship (basically a doctor who is training to become GI doctor).

It is your right as a patient to request that the attending doctor does the procedure.

When I have students who are working with me, sometimes patients request not to be seen by students and we must comply.

So I think you can call the office and request your doctor to be doing the colonoscopy.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

If I answered your question, please click 'Accept' button.


Julia Kizhner and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you