Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What kind of a doctor should you see for a boil?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
5/2/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD

Where is the boil?
How long have you had it?

Dr Abby
i actually have 2 one on the buttocks and the other in the skin at pelvic region
As long as the boil is not close to the anus or in the vaginal area, your regular doctor can take care of them (your family doctor or internist).

If it is near the vagina, I would see your ob/gyn as it may be an infected bartholin cyst (these are located right at the entrance to the vagina).

Also, if you have one near the anus, this may be a perirectal abscess that is better handled by a colorectal specialist.

Boils on the buttocks and in the pubic area (groin, in the pubic hair region) can be handled by a general practitioner.

I hope that you feel better.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Thank you, ***** ***** think i should wait longer it's been since last wednesday. although the one in the pubic area is very painful. i'm assuming he'll just have to lance it?
it will need to be lanced if it is painful and present since Wednesday, especially if it is getting bigger. I would go ahead and make an appointment.

He will numb the area first and then lance it.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD