Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Is it possible to get chicken pox twice? I am a 45 yr old

Is it possible to get chicken pox twice? I am a 45 yr old woman who had chix pox when I was 7. Now I have a bunch of pimples that have sprouted up on the back of my forearms, at my wrists and on my left hand. They started a week ago, they raise up as a shiny dot, develop a pinprick dent in the center at a certain size then crust over slightly. I have 22 in various stages of that progression on my left and right arms. The day I noticed the first 3 was Easter Sunday and I was tired, achy and weak and had a stomach ache. Other than than, no fever, not feeling bad, nothing, except these ugly spots. HELP! Go to the emergency room now or dermatologist in 4 days?

Do they happen to look like this?

http://vasj-wrestling.duhiggs.com/images/Molluscum_Contagiosum7.jpg

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yich, no, they do not, thanks. They do not rise up that high and they stay more a bump than a growth. And they get pinkish and redding splotches under them. And the dimple is not that obvious on the top.
Ok, thank you :)

It is possible to become reinfected with chicken pox.
While it used to be thought that only people who were immunocompromised could develop a second case of chicken pox, this is no longer felt to be true.

Because you have had the rash now for a week and you feel well otherwise, I do not believe you need to go to the emergency room. There is nothing that would be done if it were chicken pox at this time...if you presented within 24 hours of the onset of the rash, antiviral medication may have been used. I also don't think you need to see a dermatologist...I would start with your regular doctor tomorrow. If it is chicken pox, he/she should be able to identify it by appearance.

If there is any question as to the diagnosis, then see a dermatologist.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! You saved me hours worth of waiting in an emergency room on a rainy Sunday afternoon!
Good, I am glad!

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dr Abby