CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I woke up two weeks ago with cold symptoms (coughing, weak

Customer Question

I woke up two weeks ago with cold symptoms (coughing, weak voice) and pain in the middle of my shoulder blade. I thought they were unrelated, but my shoulder hurts whenever I cough. At first I thought they coughing just jarred (sp?) my shoulder, but it seems like they may be related. In addition, the pain in my should seems to cause pain/tingling in my right arm. I don't have health insurance, so I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor or chiro and I'm not sure which one to go to if I do decide to go in.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Does deep breathing cause it to hurt?

CamilleRN :

This sounds like Pleurisy, which is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs which can cause pain that radiates to the shoulder.

CamilleRN :

Here is a link to read more about this so you can compare to your symptoms

CamilleRN :

PLEURISY

JACUSTOMER-cdnatixe- :

No breathing doesn't hurt it. I don't have any shortness of breath. Coughing is the only symptom I have in common with that list.

CamilleRN :

Then you most likely have an irritated muscle from all the coughing, there may be swelling of the muscle that presses on a nerve when you cough. Try ibuprofen per package directions, this should help decrease any swelling you may have and stop the pain.

CamilleRN :

Also...

CamilleRN :

something VERY helpful will be ice to the area of your shoulder blade that hurts

CamilleRN :

you can make an icemassager by putting water in a paper cup and freezing it.. then cut away the cup. Using a wash cloth hold the ice and rub the area deeply.