drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

my MRI showed some degenerative disc narrowing at C5-6..bulge..ventral

The results of my MRI showed some degenerative disc narrowing at C5-6 and C6-7.
C5-6; Diffuse disk bulge nearly obliterates the ventral subarachnoid spaces and narrows the foramen bilaterally. No herniation. Cord seems preserved
C6-7; Slightly more prominent diffuse disk bulge obliterates the ventral subarchnoid spaces and may just slightly touch the ventral aspect of the chord. Bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
No extruded fragment.
Milder disk bulge C3-4 and C5-6.
No acute paraspinal findings.

My symptoms are tingling from shoulder to fingertips (index and thumb) on left arm.
I do experience relief when tilting my head forward toward my chin.
Tingling resumes when lifting head above normal 90 degrees (looking upward).
I've been to a chiropractor for nearly a month with no apparent relief.
I have a traction unit (water) that I use daily....6 lbs. for 10 minutes.
Also ice on the back of my neck 1-2 times daily

Any suggestions???

drknowsbest :

this degenerative disc disease could definitely be what is causing your symptoms at the c5-6 level the narrowing of the foramen (hole where nerves run) is what is most concerning

drknowsbest :

if over time this impinges on signals to the nerve to the arm/hand then you may develop muscle wasting

drknowsbest :

the way to know peripherally how much damage is being done/has been done is with a neurologist or pain specialist who does EMGs-these are tests for specific impingment on nerve

drknowsbest :

the traction is fine

drknowsbest :

physical therapy may be a good additive (can request through neuro) to help the muscle of the neck support the discs to not worsen the process-chiro should know these results to try to stay away from correcting areas of weakness, but may help

the most likely procedure that will give the most relief would be an epidural injection
since you are offline please accept so that we may exit this chat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I've been to a neurologist. The tests he gave me showed no nerve damage, impingment.

I still am very active.....yard work, grand kids, play golf and competitive softball at age 60. Can these activities be resumed without fear of further damage?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I've not yet received a reply from the 2nd question above.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, then physical therapy to strengthen the neck to stop the process and lessen further damage, they will show you which activities (like lifting with a forward neck) can cause the disc to be further weakened where it may lead to impingement