Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Is it okay to take xanax the morning of my colonoscopy? I am

is it okay to take...
is it okay to take xanax the morning of my colonoscopy? I am terrified of procedure.
4/11/2011
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
PatriciaRN :

PatriciaRN :

I don't see any reason why you could not take it, but it would be wise to inform the doctor who is going to do the procedure just so that he or she will know, and can then consider any possible interaction it may have with the drugs to be given during the procedure.

PatriciaRN :

Having anxiety before the procedure is pretty normal and I'm sure you are not the first patient to take something before having it.

PatriciaRN :

Just tell your doctor about your anxiety and ask if you could take it with a sip of water.

PatriciaRN :

Then, if there's a problem with it, he or she may simply prescribe a different anti-anxiety medication if they prefer to use another one.

Customer:

i know they will be giving me some kind of sedation during the procedure, but I will be a crying nervous wreck if I can't take something before i leave in the morning. thank you for your answer.

PatriciaRN :

You are very welcome.

PatriciaRN :

I doubt your doctor would be at all surprised to hear that you are feeling nervous.

Customer:

had traumatic experiences with sigmoidoscopy & barium enema years ago, so am petrified of colonoscopy.

PatriciaRN :

What happened?

Customer:

given absolutely nothing for sigmoidoscopy, then waited 4 hours for procedure. felt like doctor was using a sword to knife my colon. was then told if i had any pain during barium enema to ask for meds and when I asked they said we'll be done soon and refused.

PatriciaRN :

That sounds awful.

PatriciaRN :

Well, for a colonoscopy, the procedure is different

PatriciaRN :

Generally you are not conscious, they will probably give you a drug like Versed, with possibly some Demerol or similar along with it

PatriciaRN :

and you will be out for the procedure

PatriciaRN :

But I encourage you to discuss your anxiety and your previous experience with your doctor because if he knows you're anxious, he may be able to help ahead of time.

PatriciaRN :

Everyone's anatomy is different, and in some people, there can be pain with a sigmoidoscopy

PatriciaRN :

So if you had pain, it's no wonder you are anxious.

Customer:

will versed really put me out or does it just make me not remember procedure? also, demerol doesn't work for me, is there something else they can use instead?

PatriciaRN :

Most certainly. You should tell your doctor that the demerol does not work.

PatriciaRN :

To be honest, it did not work for me either, so I requested that the doc not give it to me and he gave me a different medicine instead, which worked out great.

PatriciaRN :

But it's important to communicate openly because if the doctor doesn't know of your problem, he can't figure out a way to prevent it from happening again.

PatriciaRN :

Versed is an excellent drug for procedures and will likely put you out.

Customer:

thanks. I just want to be completely unconscious. asked for general anesthesia but doc refused.

PatriciaRN :

You won't need that to be completely unconscious and general anesthesia can be very dangerous.

PatriciaRN :

The right combination of IV sedatives will put you out for the procedure.

PatriciaRN :

But do discuss this with the doctor.

Customer:

that's what doc said. would be willing to take a sledgehammer to my head if it means I go out!

PatriciaRN :

With a general anesthetic, you probably could not go home the same day.

PatriciaRN :

I can tell you I was out totally, without a general.

PatriciaRN :

Most patients do very well with IV sedation.

Customer:

i did have a cardiac cath procedure to burn out extra circuit in my heart to fix SVT and whatever they gave me seemed to work pretty well.

PatriciaRN :

but open communication will reassure you before the test, and will also inform the doctor of what you are going through.

PatriciaRN :

Likely it was versed and perhaps valium or something similar. Let the doctor know this.

Customer:

thank you for your reassurance. i have always found nurses to be much more understanding of my fear than docs!

PatriciaRN :

You are most welcome.

PatriciaRN :

Best of luck with your procedure.

Customer:

thank you for your help

PatriciaRN :

let me know how it went when you're done

Customer:

i will :-)

PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse