Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am a healthy, fit, 25 year old female. I have been on BC

Customer Question
pills since I was eighteen...
I am a healthy, fit, 25 year old female. I have been on BC pills since I was eighteen and just stopped taking them this past January. I am not wanting to go back on hormones again. Ever since I stopped BC pills, my periods have been very painful. NOT with menstrual cramps. For the first two/three (heaviest) days of my period, I get severe, debilitating pain with my bowel movements, gas and some with urination. After the BM, I feel a little relief. The stools are soft. My whole pelvic area feels so swollen and tender to the touch. It hurts to insert/remove a tampon. It seems like the pain moves through me, it's not just in one spot. I have a tilted uterus, I have had HPV in the past that cleared up within 6 months. I have a healthy diet but am going to up my fiber so stools are softer. I suspect it could be endometriosis or my tilted uterus. Please, please help me, this really alters what I can or can't do for two or three days.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
4/12/2011
Health Professional: Macy RN, RN CHPN replied 6 years ago
Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Macy RN :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer. It is my pleasure to help you today!

I can certainly sympathize with what you are going through.

The following steps may allow you to avoid prescription medications:

~Apply a heating pad to your lower abdomen (below your belly button). Be careful NOT to fall asleep with the heating pad on.

~Do light circular massage with your fingertips around your lower abdomen.

~Drink warm beverages.

~Eat light but frequent meals.

~Follow a diet rich in complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, but low in salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine.

~Keep your legs elevated while lying down, or lie on your side with your knees bent.

Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga.

~Try over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen. Start taking it the day before your period is expected to start, and continue taking it regularly for the first few days of your period.

~Try vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium supplements.

~Take warm showers or baths.

~Walk or exercise regularly, including pelvic rocking exercises.

~Lose weight if you are overweight.

If these self-care measures do not work, your doctor may prescribe medications such as:

~Antibiotics

~Antidepressants

~Birth control pills

~Prescription anti-inflammatory medicines such as meclofenamate (Meclomen)

~Prescription pain relievers (including narcotics such as codeine, for brief periods

Some possible causes of your pain could be from prostagladin production, endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cyst, pelvic inflamatory disease, STDS and stress and anxiety.

You need to see a Gynecologist for further evaluation.

Some things they might do are:

~ Pelvic exam

~ culture

~lab work

~ laproscopy( where they look in your abdomen)

Go to your doctor right away if you are having:

~foul smelling discharge

~fever

~pain that start 1 week before you start and lasts up to 5 days after your period stops.

~ large clots

~ worse pain.

If it is endometriosis and you have laproscopy the Dr. can laser the endometrial lesion. Please don't let this go because the longer it goes on the more scar tissue can build up an it can spread to other organs.

Please let me know if I can help any further.

Best Wishes to you,

Macy

Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Macy RN
Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN