A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Can taking Zoloft and Buspar cause a false positive on a

Can taking Zoloft and Buspar cause a false positive on a drug test?
I tested positive for Benzos, Methadone, and Cocaine. I have not used anything except my prescriptions. Please Help. Thank You, Beth

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What kind of drug test was it - a dipstick-type screening test, or was it sent to the lab for testing via GC/MS?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was a urine drug test. It was not sent into a lab. I live at Hope Ministries and they drug tested me. I am not using drugs, I promise. I'm going to get kicked out if I can't prove I didn't use. The line for cocaine and the other drugs was very faint. Please help me, thank you, ***** *****

Hi, Beth,

Screening tests are always supposed to be sent to the lab for confirmation testing via GC/MS because there are so many things that cause false positives for any number of "forbidden" drugs. Insist that they send a backup sample for testing, since a screening test isn't admissible for any kind of legal procedure.

The antibiotic amoxicillin is the only thing I've ever seen cause a false-positive for cocaine on a screening test. Most prescription pain medications, some cough medicines, Nyquil, and various antibiotics can cause false positives for various opiates including methadone. Sertraline (Zoloft) is known for causing false-positives in a screening test.

With GC/MS testing, there are no "false-positives." Every chemical has its own "fingerprint" so that no two will be confused for one another.

Here is a good source that you can take to your testing agency when you tell them that you want backup GC/MS testing. They should be well aware of these facts since they are standard through the medical testing field.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/83/1/66.full