Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I have been told i have trigeminal neuralgia i am in extreme

i have been told i have trigeminal neuralgia i am in extreme pain please help me
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
Dear customer,

The trigeminal neuralgia can be treated with drugs like carbamazepine, phenytoin, dilantin, gabapentin and muscle relaxants like baclofenac.

The increase in dose may be required if the symptoms are not controlled.

In some cases if the pain does not get controlled then alcohol injection or surgery may be required.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of trigeminal neuralgia

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the pain is now radiating from my jaw up to my cheek and ear up to temple also down under my chin is there anything else i can do to relieve lower wisdom tooth removal triggered it
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
dear customer,

The tooth removal may cause the radiating pain for a few days and the pain killers like motrin, advil are helpful.In severe cases opioid analgesic drugs like tramadol may be taken for short time to control the pain if it is severe.

Let me know if you need any more information

thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the tooth was removed 5 weeks ago??
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
Dear customer,

It may take some time to heal, the nerve irritation may be causing the radiating pain to teeth, jaw and chin area.

The other likley possibility could be the trigeminal neuralgia itself which also causes such pain in jaw, chin, teeth, gums and forehead.

You should continue the drugs as prescribed by the doctor.The injection may be given by doctor if the pain is severe and is not responding to drugs.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you