Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

In the past 3 months my WBC has raised from 9.1 - 11.5...I

Customer Question
have radically changed my diet...
In the past 3 months my WBC has raised from 9.1 - 11.5...I have radically changed my diet and have lost 70lbs. I was diagnosed in 1/4/11 with Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol, all of which are under control to the point where my Doctor is considering taking me off my meds (Janument, Lisinopril...I've had some bouts with Diarrhea recently is the only obvious change I've incurred. Help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
4/6/2011
Health Professional: physician123, Doctor replied 6 years ago
physician123
physician123, Doctor
physician123 :

Hello

physician123 :

Welcome to just answer..

physician123 :

I am here to answer you..

physician123 :

Since when do you have the diarrhea ?

Customer:

No specific time, I've had about 6 or 7 episodes but I attributed it to this sweetner I've been taking Xylitol but this morning I had an episode and I haven't been taking it for a couple of days.

physician123 :

ok

physician123 :

When did you get your blood tested for the WBCs?

physician123 :

?

physician123 :

When was the last test ?

Customer:

Y E S T E R D A Y.

physician123 :

ok

physician123 :

Do you have any other complaints apart from those you have already mentioned ?

Customer:

No complaints. I am also on a number of supplements, including red yeast rice, which has lowered my cholesterol with diet and exercise to 167.

physician123 :

Thank you for the information ..

physician123 :

As your diabetes,hypertension and cholesterol are under control it sure is a positive sign.

physician123 :

The WBC count is not significantly high and is only marginally above the normal range .

physician123 :

This can happen due to a mild infection.

physician123 :

As you have had bouts of diarrhea in the recent past it is likely that you had a mild infection as a result of which the WBC count was marginally raised.

Customer:

...Yes, but it started gong up in Mid-January and has continued rising...I also take Chromium, Pyradoximine, Green Tea, Co Q10...

physician123 :

This is not a very high cell count

physician123 :

Ok

physician123 :

Mild infection is the likely cause and if you do get this repeated in a months time in all likeliness the count will come back to normal

physician123 :

If you do get a diarrhea again I do suggest that you see a doctor about it as a mild infection maybe causing the repeated bouts due to which the counts are rising .

physician123 :

If you do not get it again then you can simply repeat the test in a months time

Customer:

Why do you feel so confident about it coming back to normal and it being JUST an infection?

physician123 :

I do feel that as an infection is the commonest cause of such a rise and as you also had loose stools it does indicate a mild infection .

physician123 :

Moreover it is only a mild high and not very significant

physician123 :

Thus it is not something that you need to worry about .

physician123 :

The other counts are in the normal range so it is sure a positive .

physician123 :

I hope you are getting my point ?

Customer:

So, even if my WBC started rising in January and I didn't get the Diarrhea until the 3rd month?

physician123 :

Even if it were rising it still was in the normal range

physician123 :

Thus a normal variation in the count is normal unless it exceeds the normal range

physician123 :

11000 is the upper range

physician123 :

and you are at 11500

Customer:

...but mine has exceeded the normal range...

physician123 :

Yes,I am aware of that as well..

physician123 :

As it is only marginally above .

physician123 :

How much was it before the last test ?

Customer:

I've already mentioned that in the initial question...It was 9.1 in January and two weeks later it was 9.5 and has risen to 11.5..So, what is considered the danger zone for WBC's?

physician123 :

The upper limit is 11000,thus it was all within the normal range till the last test ...the report of which you got yesterday .9.5 and 9.1 are normal .

physician123 :

Thus your reports in january were perfect

physician123 :

It is only this last test which is elevated

physician123 :

A count between 4000 and 11000 is considered as normal.

Customer:

...yes, but it was rising and over the years my WBC hasn't been over 8.0

physician123 :

Well that is a normal variation

physician123 :

If it rises or falls it is nothing to worry about as long as it is within the normal range....such fluctuations are considered normal

physician123 :

Thus that is not a cause of worry

Customer:

I just called my Doctor's office while we've been corresponding and got my WBC count it is actuall 11.2 so it is down from 11.5 from March 4, 2011.

physician123 :

ok great..

physician123 :

As i mentioned to you it will fall back in the normal range..

physician123 :

So please do not let it bother you..

Customer:

I just thought it curious that since I've been on this crash diet, with minimum carbs and these supplements that these things might of contributed to the rise/.

physician123 :

No ,this is not the reason

physician123 :

In all likeliness when you get the next test they will be within the 11000 limit

physician123 :

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions..

physician123 :

?

physician123 :

Just relax as it is all good...cholesterol ,sugar as well as the blood pressure is in control....thus a lot to be happy about

physician123 :

I hope this answers you..

physician123 :

take care and god bless..

Customer:

Yes, I know but the Doctor at the clinic had mentioned sending me to a Blood Doctor until he found out that I had Hodgkins Lymphoma at age 15, but when I checked my blood results going back 15 years that I keep the WBC was never over 8.0.

physician123 :

Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then will the site credit me for my work and time

physician123 :

You do not have any symptoms to indicate a hodgkins here...

Customer:

I know but he thought from the radiation and chemo I guess may have caused a leukolytic something or other?

physician123 :

You would have had lymph nose involvement and other symptoms.

physician123 :

Do not get stressed

physician123 :

Please relax ...you are fine and in good health..

physician123 :

Let it not stress you out...

physician123 :

I hope this answers you?

physician123 :

Please click on the accept button if you are satisfied with my response .

physician123
physician123, Doctor
physician123
physician123
physician123, Doctor