Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

appt with a urologist next week, what may I..psa test

In 2008 my psa count was 3.6, today it is 35.3. I have an appt with a urologist next week, what may
I typically expect to hear and what is the prognosis or treatment I may expect going forward? Is the
psa test typically an accurate tool for what is happening in regards XXXXX XXXXX and is there a severity, etc associated with the number?

Greetings.

As you know, this high PSA may be related to the prostate cancer (but prostatitis and benign prostate hyperplasia can also rise it). So urologist would do following;

1) A digital rectal examination (DRE); physical examination of the prostate

2) Trans rectal ultrasound (TRUS)

3) A prostate biopsy.

PSA alone is not the accurate tool.

A biopsy is the only confirmative test to tell about the non cancerous or cancerous prostate. If it comes out to be cancerous, a Gleason score is calculated which determines the prognosis. Prostate cancer usually has a very good prognosis.

Read about the Gleason score;

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=13940

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the 35 score extremely high or not a great worry. And are the other two conditions you mentioned only comfirmed by a biopsy? And can this typically be done in the clinic?

PSA 35 is not extremely high and can occur due to prostatitis (prostate infection). Prostatitis can be confirmed by prostate examination (DRE); as it shows tenderness. A biopsy is required for the other condition with high PSA. All the investigations can be done at a clinic.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun