Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been tetsed and told that my %Testosterone (TT) is

I have been tetsed and told that my %Testosterone (TT) is below normal. The urulogist has suggested that i should have TT treatment.
Is this normal just to have the treatment? should there be more tests done as i have read that men are more at risk for cancer with low TT.

Greetings.

What are the symptoms for which these investigations were done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is suspected that i have Hypogonadism.

I'm suffering from lack of libido, sexual interest in my girlfriend or any other woman for that matter, generally not being motivated to do most things, i have started to lack in concentration, my hair does continues to grow at the same rate.

I have had some discomfort concerning my testes, on occasion ( this is months apart) it seems that they are being squeezed genty to a point where i have to try and adjust my clothing to try and make the area more comfortable, a kind of fidgity adjustments.

I generally consider my health as being very good as i play indoor football 3 times a week and an outside game once or twice a week also and i'm playing against people at least half my age and slightly upwards.

I was also wondering if it could be diet related?

Thanks for the further details.

With your symptoms and corroborative investigative finding of low testosterone, the treatment of replacement of testosterone can be started. No further investigations are needed as your adrenal and thyroid gland are already investigated. The replacement is likely to improve your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My concern is and this based on a lot of information i have read, seem to indicate that men with a low testosterone count are in a higher risk category of prostrate cancer than those with higher testosterone.

Now if this is true should there be some more investigations into my current prostrate health, ( this could establish a base line) before having testosterone therapy especially as having the therapy could increase the risk of prostrate cancer and i do believe having the therapy you should be monitored to ensure you do not overly increase the testosterone level?

You may get PSA (a blood test), and an ultrasound done to see if your prostate in normal. In your age group; prostate cancer is rare, so that would not be worry, especially if your investigations come out to be normal. A testosterone supplement will not likely to increase the cancer risk because that will keep your testosterone in the normal range (not high). Still just to cover up the worry associated with it; you may monitor your PSA.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dr Arun,

I had a PSA test and the result was 0.7 ng/ml, the referance range is 0.0 - 4.0.

As i mentioned earlier, the higher risk for Cancer are men in the lower range of TT count would you say i would fall into this category?

I just want to get a general idea from you as to what kind of category i would fall into so i can further pursue my situation further with my GP.

Many thanks

You are very welcome.

With a PSA being normal, in your age group, you would have a very low risk (almost nil) risk of prostate cancer. Please do not worry at all.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Arun,

Thank you for your assistance.

regards

Jan

You are most welcome, Jan.

Good luck.