How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CamilleRN Your Own Question
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4183
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Type Your Health Question Here...
CamilleRN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was referred by a doctor in the rheumatology dept. of my

Resolved Question:

I was referred by a doctor in the rheumatology dept. of my local hospital (in early January) to a Consultant with reference to seeing me for possible knee replacements. I have severe OA & the pain is depriving me of sleep, also I cannot leave the house unaided as the knees keep letting me down (several falls in the past few months). I have heard nothing after almost 3 months, so I tried ringing the doctor's internal number. I have left several messages on the answermachine but no-one gets back to me. Is it normal to wait this long between seeing the doctor & getting an appointment with a consultant? Is my age (70) preventing me from getting help? What can I do now?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. I am so sorry, but sometimes this does happen. The Specialty Doctors staff usually will set appointments based upon acuity of the patient's problem.. in other words, if the person setting the appointment considers your problem not to be severe, she/he may not feel the need to book your appointment for a while, and leave you at the back of the line...however, 3 months is a long time to wait. I would recommend you ask your promary Doctor to call the reumatologist and let him know the severity of your case, so he will make sure his staff sets your appointment as soon as possible... or ask your Doctor to refer you to another.
CamilleRN and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have just got through to the doctor's secretary - apparently the consultant has not received his letter and my records now show that I have been discharged!!! She was not able to give me any advice, but kept repeating that 'as you are down as discharged, there is nothing I can do.' I feel as though I am banging my head against the wall.