Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am a 21 year old female. I have been having chest pains

Customer Question
since November. I have had...
I am a 21 year old female. I have been having chest pains since November. I have had several ECGs and in January I went to a cardiologist and they did an ECG, Holter ECG, Stress test, and Echocardiogram. They were all normal. The pain has come back and it's in the center of my chest. I went to the urgent care the other day and they did an ECG and it was normal. But the pain keeps comin back in waves and sometimes it's accompanied with nausea. I also have a hard time breathing. It's like I can't get a full breath in and then when it's like I can't take it anymore I finally get a breath in. All the doctors say it's anxiety. The Cardiologist says I have a fast resting heart beat and palpitations but it's nothing to worry about and it's probably anxiety related as well. He prescribed me medication to lower my heart rate but I didn't take it for fear of lowering my blood pressure as well. Please help me. Cause I just don't feel well at all.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
4/1/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Greetings,

Palpitation can occur due to anxiety, stress. In severe palpitation nausea, chest pain can occur. Yoga, cognitive behavior therapy can be helpful. You can consult an psychologist to reduce the stress and anxiety. When you are not feeling well, I would recommend you to start medication to lower my heart rate. If you feel symptoms of low blood pressure, then dose or drug adjustment can be done.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Should I be concerned about having a heart attack? Or my heart stopping? I am afraid I will die in my sleep
When all heart related tests are normal, so the symptoms are not due to heart attack. As you are having palpitation, you should start medicine to reduce your symptoms. Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking if you have the habit.
one more thing. I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago for pains in my right side. I thought that it was my appendix and they did a ct scan said it was normal and that i had a cyst on my left side. The pain has yet to subside...and it's been several weeks since the ct scan.
Cyst in the ovary can cause pain. It is a separate issue. As the pain persists, you have to consult a gynecologist to have an assessment.
I'm sorry to continue to bug you. I am just extremely concerned about the chest pains. I am afraid to sleep. Sometimes it'll be a quick sharp pain and others it will be a burning or a pressure like pain. I want to be able to sleep. But can't for fear of something seriously being wrong with my heart. Was is the likelihood of something bad happening when all of my blood tests and ecgs and the echo was normal?
Anxiety can cause like symptoms of heart pain. You should try the medicine to reduce the palpitation. To abate your anxiety, you will need an evaluation by a psychiatrist asap.
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)