A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am female age 26 this whole month y husband and i have had

Customer Question

Hi i am female age 26 this whole month y husband and i have had protceted sex. the condom broke once and he stoped and changed it. my last period started on feb. 22 and was five days long and always comes on time. it is now march 31 and no period. could i be pregnant.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Yes, you could be pregnant, and it is time to take a home pregnancy test. If you are pregnant it will be positive by now. It is also possible you have been under a lot of stress, or have an infection or illness, hormone imbalance, thyroid or pituitary problem, ovarian cysts (PCOS), etc. A pregnancy test is something to do right away.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the only thing I a worried about is the last time i was pregnant every test i took came back negitive. how will I know this time if it happens agian

A home pregnancy test taken with the first urine of the morning should be positive within a week of missing a regular period. A blood test at the doctor's office will also be accurate. Sometimes ovulation isn't exactly when you expect it to be and pregnancy doesn't show up for a week or more later than the missed period. You would appear to be past the point of that happening. A fertilized egg causes beta hCG to be excreted the moment it implants in the endometrium of the uterus, just 2-5 days after the fertilization. If someone is not pregnant, hCG is 0 to about 5. After implantation, hCG doubles every day or two. It is hCG that a pregnancy test looks for.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
even after three months into it can it come back negitive

It must have been a very unhealthy pregnancy to have so little beta hCG.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I guess glad he was fine then

Glad to hear it. By three months beta beta hCG should be between 25,000-250,000. It only takes less than 25 to trigger a positive pregnancy test.