Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

IT FEELS LIKE I CONSTANTLY HAVE A AIR POCKET IN MY THROAT.

Customer Question
KIND OF FEELS LIKE YOU...
IT FEELS LIKE I CONSTANTLY HAVE A AIR POCKET IN MY THROAT. KIND OF FEELS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BURP BUT THE AIR IS STAYING IN YOUR THROAT. I HAVE HAD THIS FEELING FOR 2 DAYS NOW. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
3/23/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

Are you on any kind of medications?

Do you have food reflux / acid reflux?

Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Any bloating, gas, constipation, indigestion, abdominal cramps?

Dr. Arun

ONLY ON BIRTH CONTROL, NO MEDICAL ILLNESSES, NO SURGERY, AND NO bloating, constipation, indigestion, abdominal cramps. BUT MAYBE GAS. AND REFLUX

A gas and reflux can occasionally cause these symptoms which are associated with esophageal (food pipe) spasm and feeling of air pocket (and inability to burp). Following measures would be helpful;

1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec

These above measures are for immediate help. Both are available without prescription.

The below measures are advised for the long term help for people who have food/acid reflux:

3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

lt;p>IT FEELS LIKE I CONSTANTLY HAVE A AIR POCKET IN MY THROAT. KIND OF FEELS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BURP BUT THE AIR IS STAYING IN YOUR THROAT. I HAVE HAD THIS FEELING FOR 2 DAYS NOW. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.</p><p>ONLY ON BIRTH CONTROL, NO MEDICAL ILLNESSES, NO SURGERY, AND NO bloating, constipation, indigestion, abdominal cramps. BUT MAYBE GAS. AND REFLUX. SO TRIED GAVISCON, BUT STILL DOESNT WORK</p>

It seems there is a technical problem on the site so you were unable to see my previous response. My answer is just above your last post. I am repeating it, in case if you are unable to see it;

1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

Gaviscon alone is sometimes not helpful and Prilosec with it should be able to take care of your symptoms.

Dr. Arun

Unfortunatly we don't have prilosec in Canada. Can you recommend something else?

It is Omeprazole, which can be bought without prescription.

Dr. Arun

Would Zantac work?

You can try Zantac. This may work, though considered less potent than Omeprazole.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)