Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

What could cause sharp pains that come random in all places

Customer Question

What could cause sharp pains that come random in all places of the body for example one time it might be in my stomach then another time in my leg, then another in my finger.. like that, but I never know when they will happen, where or anything I even kept a journal thinking i could figure out why they were happening but there was never a common thing I could point to. Last year I brought it up to my doctor about how annoying it was because they hurt it only lasts no longer than a minute at a time, but still its quite annoying. She told me it was growing pains... at 23 years old?? and still happening? I haven't grown any at all either. So it makes no sense. Please help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
MD doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD doc :

I am fairly certain that you cannot have growing pains at 23 years age

MD doc :

I would have a look at nerve hyperexcitability as a possible cause.

MD doc :

This could be due to abnormal thyroid levels,

MD doc :

anxiety

MD doc :

abnormal calcium levels,

MD doc :

parathyroid disease etc.

MD doc :

I would recommend discussing these possibilities with your physician and getting tested as appropriate

MD doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been through tests for Thyroid issues since I was 10, all normal. Diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Tested for Wilsons disease, Cushing's disease. Had mri's of my body done, nothing. Misdiagnosed with PCOS, I don't have periods normally. No cysts on ovaries, and my hormone levels are normal. I've seen Endocrinologists, Neurologists, Obgyn specialists, I am at a loss. My calcium levels were normal ranged, I called my doctor about that and she said they were normal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also more recently I don't know if it could be related or not, but I've been having a severe pain in my lower stomach, that doctors tell me is a gallbladder attack. Went through all the exams, ultrasounds CT scans, the works to be told my gallbladder is normal which makes me wonder if they are gallbladder issues at all. The only level in my body that is slightly elevated is my Liver enzymes and there only slightly high which the doctor told me is because im overweight.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for getting back,
In this situation I would look at the possibility of auto immune/ collagen vascular disorders as a possibility, since there is multi- system involvement.
It may be prudent to get a rheumatologist involved and get evaluated with tests like CRP, ESR etc.
Also physical testing for Fibromyalgia may be needed in this condition,
Regards