Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Is it normal to have a chest pain when you are hungry? E.g

Customer Question
craving etc? I feel like...
Is it normal to have a chest pain when you are hungry? E.g craving etc? I feel like as if you knowntoo much about me despite my name being(###) ###-####
Yesterda morning, I experienced awful discomfort chest pain probably duento stress cos of last min urgent work.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
3/4/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Is this a recurrent phenomenon of chest pain with hunger or occurred only yesterday?

Do you have burping, food / acid reflux?

Dr. Arun

I originally thought Susan Ivy was taking care of this question but seems like she put it to you as a doctor.

It started yesterday morning but stopped after I took a time out from computer after stressful work and it makes me feeling better afterwards. Yes, I do experience when I burp, my chest then opened a tin of acid filling my chest which causes discomfort. I think probably due to too much alochol and smoking the night before. That does not happen when I don't go out for like a few days and I do yoga and taking time out all the time e.g switching my technlolgoy stuffs including mobile phone off to give my mind breathing space etc. But yesterday's incident, I think it was probably due to stressful morning without breakfast and for example, this morning, I was feeling hungry but why chest pain? Maybe, craving? I won't eat a good breakfast until after a good shower or bath as it helps me to feel comfortable with myself if you see what I mean?

Stress, hurry, alcohol and acid reflux; all can be responsible for your pain, collectively. This is called as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Following is the management;

1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist your further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Thank you Dr. Arun. I do agree with you that it was due to rushy and hurry. I hate that as it does not help me and when people becomes pushy - the best thing for me to do is to cut them off and walk away to let them realising their mistakes towards to me. It is important that I prioritise myself than the others and they may say that I am selfish e.g thinking of myself and I got to be!

Doctor, regarding these things:-

1) antacids; Maalox - what does it mean?
2) acid blocker; Prilosec - is that sort of medication?
3) loosing weight, if overweight. - yes, I am overweight by 2 stones so need to lose that.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products - I don't drink heavily though but enjoy my beers to relax and swtich my mind off and then start my day properly in a nice way - so?
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day. - the problem is that my partrner cooks all the time and he comes home late from work so that is something I need to advise that it is better if I cook myself early after I finish work at 5pm so I can settle my tummy to help my bowel movements as well. Yes?
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep. - I eat reguarly as explained above at around 9pm - 9.30pm and bed at 11.30pm so yes, that is something I need to review.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches. - what does that mean? You mean away from pillow?

You are most welcome.

Maalox and Prilosec are over the counter medications and will help you in acid reflux. About 30 ml of alcohol is allowed per day. Cooking and eating early would be helpful in your bowel movements and it would also give you a duration of 3 hours when you sleep, from last meal. Pillow is good. Usually elevation of bed is done by putting a brick on either side at head end.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

A brick - you mean a house brick under pillow?

A house brick under the bed; so whole bed on the head side is slightly up / elevated compared to foot end. Not under the pillow please!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Hee hee! My partner will think that I have gone as a nutter! Will review your advice later on as it is so funny!

Thanks and will accept your answer after this!

You are most welcome.

Best wishes and warm regards,

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)