Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I had a cold sore one in November 2010 for the first time in

Customer Question
my life. before that my...
i had a cold sore one in November 2010 for the first time in my life. before that my lips use to tingle, but now it tingles everyday with no sign of cold sore appearance. what can this be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
3/2/2011
Health Professional: Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN) replied 6 years ago
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli :

Hi there

Customer:

hi

Nurse Milli :

a tingling sensation like this could be an irritated nerve ending

Customer:

thats what i was thinking too

Customer:

but i wasnt sure

Nurse Milli :

could also be an allergy to something you have eaten but more likely a nerve ending

Nurse Milli :

(the allergy would not likely be an everday occurance though)

Customer:

its for over 5 months that i have been experiencing this feeling

Nurse Milli :

is it the whole lip area or just in the small area of where the fever blister was

Customer:

the entire lip area

Nurse Milli :

both lips?

Customer:

yes

Nurse Milli :

do any other parts of the face tingle? or just the lips

Customer:

sometimes i can feel like stuff moving

Nurse Milli :

Customer:

my cheeks and under my nose

Nurse Milli :

Ok, so, I don't think this might entirely nerve endings then...glad we were able to chat a little longer.

Customer:

ok

Nurse Milli :

There might be other causes such as MS, side effects of medication, Raynaud's phenomenon, low levels of minerals in the body

Nurse Milli :

(such as calcium, potassium etc)

Customer:

wow!

Nurse Milli :

not to scare you, but I do think you should dig a little deeper into this

Nurse Milli :

I would seek out a Neurology consult

Nurse Milli :

(even panic attacks can cause tingling around the mouth, but a little odd for you to have this everyday)

Customer:

when i feel the sensation, i always looking in the mirror thinking its a cold sore

Customer:

i am seeing a neuro

Nurse Milli :

yes, if is one small area (size of a pencil eraser) that is tingling on the lip, that is understandable, but not the lips, cheeks, and under the nose...that is too large of a large area for it to be just related to a cold sore.

Customer:

because it first started in my head

Customer:

in 2008 of oct

Nurse Milli :

Does the Neuro know you are having this?

Customer:

sometimes its around the edges of the top or bot***** *****p

Customer:

or on the lip itself

Customer:

but mainly on the top lip

Customer:

no not on the lip

Nurse Milli :

ok, I would let your Neurologist know about this

Customer:

ok

Nurse Milli :

it is not normal to have this feeling this often

Nurse Milli :

(especially in more than one area of the face)

Customer:

i will definately let her about it

Nurse Milli :

that sounds like a good idea. make sure you tell her about all the areas the tingling is being felt and for how long it has been going on.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks for ur help

Nurse Milli :

Thank you for using the website!

Nurse Milli :

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click “Accept” if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and hope you will use the service again soon.

Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)