Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Fell and landed on wooden chair ,x-ray taken first reading

Customer Question

fell and landed on wooden chair ,x-ray taken first reading showed nothing second reading showed a break in my upper arm. this happened 5 days ago sling only dr.appt. tomorrow hurts like heck I'm 58 can anything be done for it other than pain pills?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.
Pauline :

A fracture is painful and unfortunately the only short term relief is the use of pain killers. Depending on the stability of the fracture then they may allow it to heal by itself, they may put a plaster cast on the arm or in some cases then they may consider a plate to repair the fracture.

Pauline :

Take your painkillers regularly according to instructions in order to try to keep the pain even.

Customer:

i wanted to see what you suggest but I went to my doc because you took way to long to get feed back. the pain pills are correct ,however my arm is in a sling with an extra strap going across my chest slipped into a flap on the sling so I don't lower my arm.this way if I try to use my arm ,this strap prevents me from using it. there for your answer is actually only half right!

Pauline :

The use of the sling is a mechanical device to prevent more damage. The healing will be with time and so using the pain pills will keep you comfortable until it heals.