How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Singh Your Own Question
Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6496
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 77 year old woman and am having night sweats. I have

Resolved Question:

I am a 77 year old woman and am having night sweats. I have tried black cohosh, acupuncture, and lachesis mutus. All have worked for a while, but when I discontinue their use, the night sweats return. What do you suggest and how harmful is it to continue with the lachesis mutus?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
Generally night sweats are a sign of an underlying disease or infection sch as tumor, tuberculosis, hormonal imbalance, HIV, medication side effects etc. So medical treatment of night sweats is targeted at the underlying cause once it is found. Empiric treatment of night sweats without first finding the cause is not recommended. So I would suggest seeing your doctor to get some tests done to find the cause. You may have to see an infectious disease specialist and an oncologist for consultation.

As for lachesis mutus, it is a homeopathic remedy containing very dilute amount of snake venom, which may not be harmful, but is also less likely to have any beneficial effects.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have asked my doctor and he said his only suggestion was to take hormone replacement therapy and he didn't want to give me that. I don't want to take that, either. I take a lot of supplements and am very healthy in general. I take only one prescribed med - alendronate sodium 70 mg 1/week. Therefore I doubt if I have tuberculosis, HIV or medication side effecgs. I think it is a hormonal imbalance, but don't know how to fix that. Can you help if that is the problem?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
If it is indeed hormonal imbalance, hormone replacement therapy would be the most effective treatment. So you can ask your doctor to try this.
Dr. Singh and other Health Specialists are ready to help you