How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Su S Your Own Question
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 20908
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has this really hard lump behind his knee. It is

Resolved Question:

My husband has this really hard lump behind his knee. It is feverish and very painful to the touch. What can it possibly be? What type of doctor should he visit?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

When did it develop? Precise site? Is it in the middle? or to side? Attached to bone? How large? Is it movable? Did he have any trauma? Is there any other symptom? Is there any significant past illness?


Edited by Dr. SS on 2/22/2011 at 4:21 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appeared about 4 days ago. It is behind his right knee. It is hard as a rock, about a half a inch long, very warm to the touch, and very painful for him to walk because it is hard for him to bend his knee. It is not movable. He has had no trauma. I just know that he gets boils between his legs a lot and this just started. Could it be some kind of blood problem? I know his boils seem to be blood boils, cause when he pops them, it is one big bloody mess. But this is different because this is very hard like a rock. What should we do?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

This can be due to a few conditions. This can occur from an inflammed lymph node, cyst commonly Baker's cyst at this location which can get inflammed. Boil sounds unlikely. Other probables are ganglion, deep vein thrombosis, bony growth etc. I would advise to get an examination by doctor. Doctor can then ask for tests, if he thinks necessary. You can continue to apply warm moist compress over it. Meanwhile, analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or advil can be taken if there is no contraindication.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what type of doctor should he go see? What is ganglion? What is a Baker's cyst?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
He can see his primary doctor. If he thinks necessary he can refer him to an orthopedic doctor. A ganglion cyst is a swelling or a sac of liquid on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon . Ganglion cysts are often harmless and painless, requiring no treatment. In many cases, doctors recommend a wait-and-watch approach . However, if the cyst is causing pain , then treatment may be required. Treatment can be aspiration of the fluid, injection of steroids or surgical removal. Baker's cyst is a collection of fluid in a sac at the back of knee. Treatment also remains the same as Ganglion.
Dr. Su S and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you