Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

What does it means when I hold my breath and my chest hurts…

what does it means when...
what does it means when I hold my breath and my chest hurts and tightens? (like when I take a deep breath it hurts)
2/19/2011
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question .
Well if your EKG is normal and gastric ulcer is suspected so you should take some OTC Prilosec and metamucil .
Also keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids and eat easy to digest diet.
Avoid caffeine , carbonated beverages , alcohol , smoking , fat irch , spicy, fried food.
If your symptoms 'll not relieve then you may need to be seen by your doctor for a clinical examination and undergo Chest X-ray as well to rule out any underlying chest infection , costochondritis apart from gastric ulcer.
Also take OTC Tylenol/Motrin as well.
Do steam inhalation .
I hope this helps.
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Thanks for answering my question, I forgot to mention that I also have pain in my leg. Feels like low blood circulation. It doesn't take nothing for my leg/feet to fall asleep. Would this be associated with my chest pains. I'm asking because I saw a commercial that said that it can be associated.
Do you have associated lower back pain ?
Are both legs involved?
Numbness and tingling sensation in leg?
Since how long have you been suffering from ?
Are you overweight?
Any associated redness , swelling , skin dicoloration on affected area?
Alcohol and smoking ?
Do you have pain while walking and relieve at rest?
I do have lower back pain.
  • Yes both legs are involved, the right tends to be worse especially when i'm cold.
  • I have been suffering from the leg problems for at least two years, however my chest pains just started the latter part of last year. (November, maybe).
  • I am currently overweight. I'm 5'6 @ 195lbs, really just gain weight since I got laid off in April of 2010. Normal weight was 165, (although I know thats still overweight)
  • I have swelling, no skin discoloration nor redness.
  • I am and always have been an non-smoker. My last drink was in 1997. (All alcohol)
  • There is pain while walking too much and its relieve if I sit. The pain tends to be in one area always on both legs. Although this doesn't happen everyday but it does happen often.......Thanks!!!
Well as your EKG is normal and gastric ulcers is suspected in your case .
So it is very less likely to have any corelation of both condition with each other.
Apart from this , pain in legs can be caused due to following possible cause which may include -
Lumbar radiculopathy (the compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves)results in pain , numbness and tingling sensation in legs and feet and also you have history of lower back pain

Vascular claudication-cholesterol (plaque) build up from atherosclerosis in the legs can cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking.
It is advised to undergo,Complete blood Count , Lipid panel , X-ray /MRI of lumbosacral spine and a clinical examination by a doctor for further evaluation .
In the meantime you should take OTC motrin.
Take Multivitamin containing Vitamin B complex.
Take proper rest .
Take short breaks of rest while doing work.
Eat low-fat meats and dairy products and include lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet.
Lose weight as it helps in relieving your symptoms .
Physical therapy like deep heat ,traction ,interferential therapy may also be helpful.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Thanks you gave me answers to many of my longing questions. I will most definitely follow ALL of your advice- for a good diet was my initial thoughts.

I really liked how you took the time to answer my question in dept. Your the best expert so far in my book!!!! I sincerely ***** *****

P.S. I am going to send this post to my email, thats how informant this is to me.

Thanks Again
You are most welcome .
Thanks for using justanswer.com