Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Found a spot on the inside of my private area and it feels

found a brown spot on the inside of my private area and it feels raw and hutrs can you tell me what it could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
DO you have normal PAP smears?
Where specifically is this located in your private area - please be very specific?
Is it raised?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

inside my lip area and yes my pap are normal

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Is this area also 'raw' and red, or just brown.
Does it burn, or just painful?
Is it raised?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
raw and brown painful
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This could possibly be a herpes infection - and I would recommend that you get this 'cultured' to see if this is the case. And, to help with the pain - lidocaine jelly or EMLA cream will help. And, if herpes, then VAltrex should help too.
Also, If this looks suspicious, I would highly recommend a biopsy to rule out a cancer (although cancers do not necessarily hurt).
I hope this helps, If you have additional questions, Please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i do have herpes and i take valtrex everyday to keep it under control, when i do break out it looks nothing like this,

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Since the valtrex is not helping, the next step would be to do a biopsy - because altough UNLIKELY to be a cancer or dysplasia - this should be ruled out with a biopsy.
Especially since it is discolored - and in my original answer, I suggested that if this is suspicioius - I would recommend this...
I Hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome - Please click on ACCEPT, thank you