Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I had Temporal Arteritis over 4 years ago and was on

Customer Question
predonsone for almost 4 years...
I had Temporal Arteritis over 4 years ago and was on predonsone for almost 4 years. The Temporal Arteritis has clared (so I am told) but the head aches are as bad as they have always been. I am told that I shouldn't be having them but they are real and at times I end up in bed for a day. Where do I go from here? I am getting to the point that I can't stand it!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
2/1/2011
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

If the headaches are similar to the headaches from yout past temporal arteritis then you should have checked other tests such as sed rate and C-reactive protein.

Anthony Bray MD :

It is very important to rule this out.

Anthony Bray MD :

Are you tender over one or both temples?

Anthony Bray MD :

If temporal arteritis then the sed rate is typically very high.

Anthony Bray MD :

In general there are several potential causes of headaches of course. What part of your head hurts? Is this throbbing in nature, shrp pain, dull pain or other?

Customer:

It is tender over right temple area (which is the side I had the temporal arteritis on. It is sore to the tuch and aches all the time. The only way this was found was by a byobsy of the temple. It has been bad (sharp pain) and at times evern makes me dizzy.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I would advise you to see your doctor tomorrow for this. I would favor that a sed rate be done. If elevated then I don't think you would need another biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Also take an aspirin as this will help to reduce risk of clot formation. A mildly elevated sed rate would not be diagnostic of temporal arteritis but a very high sed rate plus your history would be very unlikely to be anything else.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you can't sleep you could be seem aty the ER. They can perform the sed rate and get results back faster and if needed start you on prednisone taper.

Anthony Bray MD :

Did you have other questions?

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have other questions then let me know and i will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

This isn't something for ER because it has been going on for over 4 years. I have had so many blood test that my arm looks like a pin cushin. Nothing shows on them except that my sugar is a little high (taking medication for that). I have been off the prednisone for about 5 months now. The Doctors that I have been seeing can't answer the question of WAY I am still having the problems.

Anthony Bray MD :

OK, I see. I had the impression that this had jumped back on you recently as a problem. I didn't realize that this had been ongoing for such a long time.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would wonder if a medicine like Lyrica might be of some use. This can help with nerve related pain. It works by different mechanism than most. It may have been tried already for all I know. Just a thought...

Customer:

I haven't tried that bt will ask my doctor about it. I am on other medications and want to make sure that it will not interfer with any of them. Is there anyother test that might show the cause?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well a sinus growth might cause such a long stanging headache. A sinus CT would show that if that were the cauuse. An MRA is an angiogram using MRI technology which highlights the vessels . If you had abnormal tapering then a vasculitis might be indicated. This would show other vascular abnomalities such as an AV malformation (artery grows directly to a vein) or an aneurism.

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor