Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I normally dont have high blood pressure, but last night i…

Customer Question
i normally dont have high...
i normally dont have high blood pressure, but last night i was sitting htere and took it and it was very high...like 155.97....
i have anxiety disorder so of course i started to freak out. What can cause high blood pressure out of no where. I started lexapro about 5 days ago, would that have anything to do with it. I also take xanax as needed for anxiety .25
I kept taking it last night and it was staying high...like 145.92 etc..... when i laid down it finally went down but only when laying....
this morning it was 144/92, then 145/71.....at the docs like 1 week ago it was 130.76
what can this be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
1/25/2011
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 7 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

There are many things that contribute to elevated blood pressure. Anxiety and stress is one, but too much salt intake (commonly from fast food and packaged foods, soda pop), even a few pounds of weight gain, nicotenet, and lack of exercise (exercise strengthens the heart) are other common contributers.

So to help decrease blood pressure, one needs to focus on eating a healthy diet (processed foods have a lot of salt - so home preparation is usually helpful and of course focusing on whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein sources is important); an aerobic (heart strengthening) exercise, as well as learning stress relief techniques such as medication, yoga, or tai chi.

Because even pre-hypertension (slightly elevated blood pressure) can lead to circulatory damage (kidney damage; neuropathy) one should see their health care provider for blood pressure medication until they are able to implement these practices into their lives. Often, for those that have gained even a little bit of weight and then notice elevated blood pressure, just loosing a few pounds will help lower blood pressure.

Please reply to this post if you have futher questions about this topic or need clarification so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.
but up to a week ago i was normal.....now all of a sudden it jumped.....how can i know if i need meds or not?
You need meds any time your blood pressure is elevated no matter what the cause. At the same time start to implement these measures into your life as in most cases they will help. As we age our circulatory system gradually becomes de-conditioned unless we work to keep it 'in condition'. You may have just reached the point where several factors came together to create an elevation. You can make an appointment to see your doctor, continue to monitor your blood pressure, and work on these things that are known to help, and perhaps by the time you see your doctor you will not need the medication.
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
ok. thanks.
Thank you, ***** ***** welcome. In other words don't worry excessively about this, it is not abnormal to happen at all, but be smart and take steps to prevent it from getting out of control - start to pay attention to a healthier life style (most of us realize we have to start doing this when we are about your age).
ok. can this be due to lexapro though? I just started it last week and now the numbers are excessively high. I guess im just worried about having a heart attack or soemthing
Lexapro does not usually cause elevated blood pressure. There are some antidepressants that can though. Also, in combination with certain drugs there is a condition called seretonin syndrome where the BP could go up. Are you taking any other medications or supplements? If so, what are they?

Your blood pressure readings aren't high enough to cause a heart attack. Let me know about the other medications or supplements.

i do also take xanax as needed ,pretty much nightly....25 mg.....

also prilosec 20mg

its like all i think about now....im so worried that something is wrong and i can feel it going up, if that makes sense.....my doc also always just shruge me off and says it anxiety....

even the highest reading of 155.97 isnt high enough for that?

Xanax would not combine with Lexapro to create seretonin syndrome. Xanax would at the most lower blood pressure a bit. It may not in your case though, because likely you have some tolerance to it if you have taken it awhile.

That you say you 'worry about it all the time' does indicate excessive anxiety. Hopefully after you have been on the Lexapro longer it will actually help to decrease your anxiety - which is one of it's actions.

A blood pressure of 155/97 is not good for your heart over time - but will not cause a heart attack. Clots cause heart attacks. An elevated blood pressure over time could cause an enlargement of the pumping chamber of the heart and result in lung or liver and kidney problems over time - but not a heart attack.

But worrying about it will only increase the blood pressure. You must instead learn some deep breathing exercises, do aerobic exercises, as well as learn relaxing exercises such as yoga or tai chi - these are exercises that involve stretching and balance with deep breathing. The deep breathing brings additional oxygen into the muscles resulting in deep relaxation.

This page has many links and other information that can help you:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

This web site has free relaxation audio and videos:

http://www.innerhealthstudio.com/guided-imagery.html

These pages will help you too, and I hope you will explore them all (or if it seems like too much information, just focus on one at a time):

http://www.helpguide.org/topics/anxiety.htm

http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_management_relief_coping.htm

What is your blood pressure now?
i dont know im at work so i cant check....this morning at kmart it was 144/71 heart rate of 64...that is another thing....the heart rate is always lower...like in the 50s...
That is good to know that your BP was at a more acceptable level this morning.

What type of exercise do you engage in? I am asking this because it relates to your heart rate.

Do you have any symptoms when your heart rate is in the 50's?
When is it in the 50's? Is it when you have been resting or sitting?

i usually exercise somewhat reasonably...when i sit or lay it gets down to even 47 48......

i just went to kmart on my lunch break to check and it was 144.77, and then 138/80....

If a person does aerobic exercise then it will be normal for their heart rate to run in the 50's. This indicates a strong heart.

As you can see, blood pressure is naturally higher after activity and then decreases over time. The correct procedure in taking a blood pressure is for the individual to have rested at least 3 minutes, but 10 minutes or more if they have been exercising. Then they must sit with feet flat on the floor and arms uncrossed, arm at heart level (crossing the ankles or knees restricts circulation and results in a higher reading). The Left arm will typically be slightly higher than the right. Any anxiety will give a false reading. So make sure these conditions ae in place when you take your blood pressure, and you may see that it is not as high as you think. It is normal for blood pressure to be high with exercise - it is not normal for it to be high when at rest as explained above.
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
i hope your right....its really scaring me