Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have a knot in my upper stomach. It is located right under

I have a knot in my upper stomach. It is located right under my sternum bone. I think I have a hiatal hernia from mulitple pregnancies. Can this knot be a symptom of that?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you feeling a hard protrusion right under the sternum?
Is it causing you discomfort?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't feel anything from the outside... it is just a feeling on the inside. No pain, but discomfort in the sense that there is a constant know there. Also, I feel fine in the morning. It seems to get worse throughout the day and when I am "full" from eating something.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

A hiatal hernia, as you likely know, is a small herniation of the stomach above the diaphragm. It is frequently without symptoms but can cause acid reflux (heartburn).
Acid reflux can irritate the lining of the esophagus, causing burning pain in the chest.
It can also give the feeling of a lump in the throat, difficulty swallowing and painful swallowing.

If you are otherwise healthy, you can try an over the counter acid blocking medication for a week to see if this makes any difference in your symptoms (like omeprazole, which is generic prilosec). If it doesn't, I recommend following up with your doctor for an exam.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do my symptoms seem like they are consistant with a hernai and not something more serious? I am a healthy 38 year old who exercises on a regular basis. Just want to make sure that this a normal symptom.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
It is consistent with heartburn from a hiatal hernia. That is why I recommend a trial of the acid blocking medication.
A hiatal hernia alone does not cause any symptoms, if that makes sense.

Dr Abby