How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17823
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have severe pain in the calves of both legs and cant walk

Customer Question

I have severe pain in the calves of both legs and cant walk very far, this started about 12 months ago, mild at first and now very pain full. I take Solpadol for the pain, doesn't help much and make me very sleepy. Seen a specialist who says the musels have tightend up. Recommend stretching which doesn't help much.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Is there any swelling, redness, cold or numb feeling in the legs?

After how much walking does the pain aggravate?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any other medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Symptoms present continualy,no redness, nemness and pain, pain all the time walking or not,saw doctor and specialist 6 months ago, yes,Clein Modulate.Ipratropium Bromide Ventolin Allopurinol Asprin Tamsulosin Ducate Sodium Finasteride Ramipril Duloxetine Zopiclone Co-codamol very movement tests, COPD 72 years old, male, continual cough for 6 months, doctor save me hay fever medication helps a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

I feel you should get it checked by doctor.

Pain on walking a distance can be a sign of reduced blood supply to the muscles of the leg.

When you are taking ramipril for high blood pressure, atherosclerosis should be ruled out.

This can be due to a blockage of artery as from cholesterol deposition or atherosclerosis or from spasm of the artery.

Duplex ultrasound, angiography etc can be needed.

Another condition like spinal stenosis where prolonged standing or walking can cause pain.

Deficiency of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium- vitamins, dehydration, hypothyroid state etc. are the major factors in muscle spasm.

You may try some home measures-

Take plenty of fluid, fruits, vegetables .

Regular exercise or a walk daily to keep you active.

Stretching or gentle massage can also be helpful.

Avoid coffee, alcohol, tobacco etc.

When it is increasing, you should get it checked by doctor to find out the cause.

Please feel free for any follow up query.


Dr. Saha and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What would it cost to see a consultant privately and have the tests you suggest.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
I am not based in UK, so am not aware about the cost.

However I am giving you a link where you can find a list of private hospitals.

You can find one nearest to your place & call them to know about the cost.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to print your answer, but cannot assess your answer now. Is there a way i can retrieve it again. Philip mcnicholl
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
You can open the question with your password *****

Or you can print it now.

If you feel any difficulty in printing, you can contact our help desk at this link.

They will help you.

Please write to