Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am a 52 year old female who had a bladder sling placed 2

I am a 52 year old female who had a bladder sling placed 2 years ago. When I do sit ups or kegals I leak urine.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

What about when you are walking, getting out of a vehicle, etc - do you leak then?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I run I do, not so much walking though.
Did you stop leaking when this was first placed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
for 6-8 months. It keeps getting worse but not as bad as before sling. ( I leaked when walking and wore a pad).
I also feel like my vaginal tone is weak ( so does my husband!) thus my reason for wanting to do kegals.
When did you go through menopause?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think I am still in the process. I had a uterine ablation so I no longer have periods. I am currently experiencing night sweats and insomnia.
A few things:
Your sling might be failing because of the estrogen decreasing the tone of your vaginal /vulva tissue and premarin cream or estradiol pills in the vagina might help - and because you still have a uterus, you would be limited to 2 to 3 days of the premarin/estradiol.
Also, you could have the sling surgically corrected,
And, there is also Collagen injections too.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if I understand you correctly, this problem may take care of itself after menopause? Also since I am having insomnia/hot flashes, am I still in menopause? And is there any way go guesstimate how much longer before I am post menopausal?
MY ob is pro hormones but my primary doc feels its better not to take them if at all possible.
No, that is not what I am saying -
I am saying that menopause IS the possible cause because of the estrogen deficiency you are going through with menopause.
Your ob probably HAS more understanding of hormones than your primary doc - and I tend to agree since I am an ob/gyn.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your questions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification. Any thoughts on which specialist I should have do the surgery for sling correction (gyn or urologist) if that is the option I choose? The doctor who put it in is no longer available.
If you can find a UROGYNEcologist - that is who I would recommend - this is an ob/gyn who has subspeciality training in pelvic reconstruction.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. It has been very helpful. One last ? There is no Urogyn in my city. The closest is about 70 miles away. What web resources could I use to make my choice?
You might want to look at Dr. Milkos Website - he is literally the best Urogynecologist in the country - he's based in Atlanta.
http://www.miklosandmoore.com/
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your advice.