Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

my two year old daughter has been ill for three to three and

my two year old daughter has been ill for three to three and a half weeks, it started with vomiting and a fever, the vomit contained bits of blood in it.The cough got worse, sounded raspy, wet, the doctor put her on amoxicillin, I was told that the blood in the vomit was just broken blood vessels at back of throat.She had a silmilar problem to this when she was five months old and I recalled that the amoxicillin didnt work on her and she had to have erythromycin.She got much much worse during and after taking amoxicillin. I was told by the call out doctor that she had a chest infection and her sats were down to 91% he put her on erythromycin, a four day course to be taken four times a day the dosage was 125ml, she was improving and cough that happens quite bad at night and makes her cry briefly went but again she started going down hill after coming off I took her back to the doctors who gave her erythromycin again this time she was given 250ml to be taken three times a day, this time I asked for more antibiotics for her because I thought the last dose was too short and not strong enough.She has been on this stronger dose since the 30th of december 2010 so its been two and a half days, I can see no improvement with her breathing or appetite and shes still pale. She would probably look normal to other people most of the time but she has stopped wanting to get out of her buggy to walk and sits a lot more, completely lost her colour. But whats really worrying is every night her breathing is a lot more rapid and theres a lot of movement in her throat.She is still using her stomach muscles to breath, not bad enough for me to get serious help as in an ambulance.When she is asleep at night I can hear a raspy, wet noise. I am going back to the doctors on monday if she has not improved to insist that she be referred to a specialist, could you please tell me what sort of specialist you think she needs to see and if you think you have any idea what is wrong with her could you please tell me. At night I raise her head as much as I can, I use eucalyptus oil, obviously miwed that I rub in her chest and have put in her bath water, I know steam helps.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 6 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

It sounds to me that she needs to be evaluated in the emergency department - of course you can drive her there yourself, she could benefit from albuterol inhalational therapy by nebulizer, because it sounds like she is in mild respiratory distress. She may need hospital admission for IV antibiotics based on what her chest xray shows as she has failed outpatient oral therapy.

Dr. E