Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My husband has had this problem off and on for the past

several years. When eating...
my husband has had this problem off and on for the past several years. When eating he will swallow and the food gets stuck half way down. he can breath and talk, but if he tries to drink something to "wash it down" it sits on top of the food. If it doesn't pass, he winds up having to make himself throw up to remove the blockage. Is this some sort of hernia?
1/1/2011
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your input

DR HASAN :

I am an ENT doctor and wants to help you

Customer:

Hi Dr. Hasan

DR HASAN :

Does he feel swallowing problem everytime or sometime?

DR HASAN :

HI

Customer:

not every time, This happens a couple times a month or so and usually if he eats steak

DR HASAN :

This happens with water also?

DR HASAN :

does he has GERD or stomach burning?

Customer:

no, when he tries to wash the blockage down, the water doesn't pass

Customer:

he does not have acid reflux

DR HASAN :

Does he vomit?

Customer:

he makes himself throw up to remove the blockage

DR HASAN :

does he feel regurgitation of food in his mouth at night?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Ok fine

DR HASAN :

and there are times when absolutely no problem even with big bites?

Customer:

yes

DR HASAN :

Any swollen lymphnodes in neck?

Customer:

unsure

DR HASAN :

ok this doesnot looks like hernia

Customer:

he is a slow eater and tends to chew his food well

DR HASAN :

Can be a stricture, a web in the food pipe or very unlikely a small mass lesion

DR HASAN :

But the symptoms are not present all the time and thats a great thing

Customer:

okay, sounds like he needs to see a doc for an exam, huh

DR HASAN :

I suggest that he should visit an ENT doctor or Gastro Doctor to get a barium swallow examination done

Customer:

thanks doc!

DR HASAN :

Yes i am sorry but this symptom should not be ignored

DR HASAN :

and nothing can be done at home to look at it

Customer:

appreciate your help. Thanks so much!!!

DR HASAN :

You are welcome

DR HASAN :

i wish him good luck

DR HASAN :

Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor